Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help setting a SMC as router

• Please log in to reply

GramPics

GramPics

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello

I have just switched internet providers, I received a Fritz box fon WLAN 7113 as the modum. This modum only has one LAN port on the back. So I was hoping to connect my SMC ADSL Barricade SMC7404WBRB which has four LAN ports as a router.

I was told that it is possible, I just need to configure them correctly.

So my request is;
Can someone help me configure these two so that they comunicate with each other?

I have a basic understanding of computers and network setup.

Waiting for help, Thank you

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
have you tried using the SMC as your DSL modem? A quick search shows that it is a DSL modem.

If you determine what IP address your new DSL modem is using, you can set the SMC to be on the same network and set the gateway to the DSL modem's IP address. The DNS settings would also need to be manually set to be the DSL modem. It can be done, but it can be a bit tricky since the SMC is not designed to operate in that way. That is why it is best to try it as a DSL modem first since if that works, then it removes all the other issues.

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello Kemasa.

Thank you for your reply.

I do not think I can only use the SMC as both modem and router because the Fritzbox also handles my telephone line. I plug the telephone into the fritzbox, because Scarlet (the IP) also handles our phone line and numbers.

So I believe I need to use the fritzbox as the modem and the SMC as the router.

I ran ipconfig (see attachment.)

Which one is the IP address that I am looking for IPv4, or Default gateway? :)

How do I set the SMC to be on the same network, what shall I look for?

Then I need to set the Default gateway to this IP address that I found in ipconfig, correct ? Is this setting a static IP address?

Then I need to set the DSN on the SMC to What on the Fritzbox (DSL modem)?

I also heard something about switching off the bridge function?

As you can see I know enough to get myself into trouble, but don't know exactly what I am doing. So if you have the time some more help would be a blessing.

Looking forward to your reply.:yes:

Attached Thumbnails

• ipconfig 25th Oct 2011.JPG

Edited by GramPics, 25 October 2011 - 05:55 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, it seems that you can't use the SMC as the router. You could get another wireless router to connect to the modem, which would be easier to do, but would cost money.

The IP address of the modem appears to be 192.168.178.1, which is what you need to set the default gateway to on the SMC. You will need to connect the SMC and then login to that to change the settings. You may also need to login to the modem to see what DHCP range it is using to ensure that the SMC does not give IP addresses in the same range. The modem seems to have set your machine to 192.168.178.24.

Once you login to the SMC, there should be some setup options. You need to set the local IP address range to 192.168.178.X. The DNS settings should be manually set, instead of automatic, which would be to the modem, 192.168.178.1. This would also be the gateway address for the SMC. Basically all the traffic from the SMC out needs to go through the modem, 192.168.178.1.

I believe the bridge function is normally for a router to connect to a modem, which is not what you are doing in this case. The SMC might need to have the modem turned off, if there is an option.

GramPics

GramPics

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Kemasa

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am heading out of town for a few days, so when I get back I will try to set up the SMC as you suggested.
I'll let you know.