Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

black screen with flashing cursor

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
edited to cancel post.....cancel this question please. I decided to take it in for repairs today

I'm using my husbands laptop to find the problem to my home computer

First...i have no idea about computers...i was working on a cookbook project using "picture it" and was searching google for kitchen sayings to add to my pages in the book. During this search my computer detected malware a few times. I closed the page and continued on to other pages without thinking anything about it. Evening came, i shut the computer down for the night. I turn it on in the morning and all i get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. After doing some google searching i found something that said insert disk that came with computer and run the program. I did that and now all i get is "press any key to boot from CD" , it does nothing and is still a black screen, and nothing happens. I hear it running. I cannot access my computer at all. PLEASE tell i didn't lose all my pictures/files. That would be so sad. So many memories lost. I did not back-up anything. I thought about it many times but did'nt.
Please remember...i know NOTHING about how a computer runs. The inside looks like spaghetti. I need very simple instructions(i'm in my upper 50"s)

My computer is a gateway, 2008 windows xp

Another question....when funds get better we plan on getting me a laptop too. Is it possible to transfer everything over to this laptop i'm on? It's a Gateway windows vista

Edited by evelyn54, 18 October 2011 - 05:19 AM.

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
You need to get the malware cleaned up before doing anything else. Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

As for transferring data to a new computer, yes, it's easy. A new computer will have Windows 7 on it and includes Windows Easy Transfer which will handle this for you.