Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts but won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is that the exact message please or your brief part of it.
I will stand corrected of course but as I read it there is not a return with that exact wording.
There is a return with a code that incorporates 7, and that tends to mean that the drive has not failed, but the data cannot be read.

Do you have access to another computer running XP. I know you have access to Vista but what may be the cause cannot be corrected without either an XP CD or a computer running XP.

On the computer that runs Vista, is that a desktop or a laptop and do you have an enclosure that you can put this drive in, it is a Sata drive, so you need a Sata enclosure.
Other than that we can try making another CD and see if we can get a boot from that, like the Puppy.
The fact that you can access the drive on Puppy, supports the theory that the drive has not failed.

Advertisements

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, when I get to the Boot Device Setup screen this is what it looks like

Boot Device Menu
=================
* Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
* ST3160812AS

* System Setup
* Hard Drive Diagnostics
* Boot to Utility Partition

Use Up/Down arrows to highlight desired item.
Use Enter to select highlighted item.

Those items are all that are available, so I am unable to run the PSA Diagnostics. Instead, I ran Hard Drive Diagnostics and this is what I got when it finished

Hard Drive Diagnostics is running, please wait...
Drive 0: ST3160812AS - Fail. Return Code: 7
Drive 1: SONY DVD-ROM DVU1615S - Diagnostics not supported
Drive 2: No device
Drive 3: No device
Drive 4: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H553A - Diagnostis not supported
Drive 5: No device

Test complete, Press <ENTER> to reboot

I have an older computer with XP, but it's not XP Home like the Dimension E520.

The Vista is a laptop, and I'm not too sure about an enclosure for the Sata drive.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That drive is a Seagate Barracuda Sata 160Gb hard drive
See this
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

On that link go to downloads then Seatools Diagnostic software

You will then be on this link
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

So if you wish go straight here.
As the computer will not load Windows make the software for Dos.

Test the drive with that.
I apologise for questioning your error report but my understanding was, and I do not have a Dell, that the error code was a four digit code.
This Seatools you are downloading will not check the file system for errors - as would Windows chkdsk, it will only examine for its integrity.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2011 - 07:32 PM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
There's no need to apologize. You're the one helping me. I should have been clearer in the first place.

I burned the SeaTools for DOS CD and ran the Short Test. This is what I got

Short Test FAILURE

Your SeaTools Test Code: ADCDA66A

Please save this code if you are planning a warranty exchange. Seagate product warranty status depends on how the product is sold. If your hard drive is a component in an OEM system, then the OEM covers the drive warranty.

Unfortunately, your Seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.

Seagate recommends that you run the Long Test, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more information on this subject see our help topic 'Bad Sector Found'.

Since the short test failed, do you think I should run the Long Test?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well try it, yes, but I do not hold out a lot of hope.

Seagate in common with most drive manufacturers do not make aviailable a full list of error codes.
I am unable to match that to any of the simple codes on the short test that they do publicise

If you go back to the Seagate link you can email support with that error code, supply them with the model of drive
it was in your post 17 which told me it was a seagate - nothing magical ST is Seagtate

ST3160812AS

If the drive is out of warrantry, you have little chance if any of a RMA and free replacement of course, but you may at least obtain confirmation that replacement is the way to go.The drive has not completely failed as if it had you would not have got your data off for recovery with Puppy. However Puppy is very forgiving and it may well have many bad sectors which if they corrupted the file system, will prevent Windows from loading.

I WOULD recommend that you still contact Seagate, but the way to go now is to take out that hard drive, buy a SATA drive enclosure, connect the drive to another computer via USB and run a chkdsk on the drive, you can run the Seatools on it again. The reason I suggest this is because I would hate you to buy a drive and find the problem is NOT the drive, but the motherboard or something else. This is a possibility. If the drive is not receiving the correct signal from the motherboard or the moterboard cannot receive the correct signal, on the SATA data lead then it would fail the test.

If you are going down this route please ensure you buy the correct enclosure or docking station, that is basicaally a connection for the drive but without any case for it. It would be so easy to buy an enclosure for a PATA (IDE) drive. Also if you buy an enclosure make certain it is NOT a slimline, that drive will not fit. Also of course make sure it is for a 3.5 HDD and not a 2.5 laptop drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 October 2011 - 01:08 PM.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried the Long Test, but ended up with another failure and a new error code.

I'll contact Seagate like you said and order a Sata enclosure, but I do not know how long it will take for me to accomplish these tasks.

Thank you so much for guiding me through this. I would be absolutely lost if not for you and Geeks To Go. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to buy another computer.

If I ever have any other problems/questions, should I start a new topic, contact you, or reply back to this topic?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is the new error code.

You are contacting Seagate only with the error code and drive reference to see if they can advise you what that code means.

The purpose of buying the enclosure NOT from Seagate is to connect the drive to another computer and see if the drive is accessible as a slave to run a disk check.
If we could get a boot to Recovery Console we may have been able to make progress.

If you wish to try it this is your last resort.
BE AWARE that if by chance this works you will lose ALL personal data, although I know you have recovered some with Puppy.
You will also lose all programs etc installed since that computer was sold and you will have all Service packs and updates to download.

If the data is corrupted by bad sectors in otherwords a failing drive, it is unlikely to work, even if it works in the first place it will likely fail within a short time.
HERE IS HOW
Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system.
PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer.
Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently
deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos,
music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

6 When prompted, click Yes.
The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that
appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the
computer was turned on.

7 Click Next.
The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

8 After the computer restarts, click OK.

IF BY CHANCE THIS WORKS -
Install an anti-virus
go Windows update.

There are numerous free anti-virus programs
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Microsoft Security Essentials is one I use. It is recommended on that link.
However you may well have to download and install some updates before you can download MSE.

BE EXTREMELY careful browsing the internet without an Anti-Virus.
Depending on the Dell restore partition you MAY have the one that was offered orignally, usually a 30 day trial.

IF BY CHANCE THIS WORKS post and I will give you the steps to ensure that the Operating System can then be transferred to the new drive. If that is the way you have to go.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
AtWitsEndAgain

How are you progressing.
I am offline from tonight until late 5 Nov.
Please do let us know.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The error code for the long test was ADCDA65A.

Sorry I haven't stayed in contact. I've been dealing with school the past few weeks and haven't had the chance to try your suggestions. I'm currently doing everything off Puppy and will update you as soon as I can. At this point, I am still aiming to use the enclosure, but I am not too sure on how to get the HDD out of the tower.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My post 12- the link Owners Manual - download it page 88 onwards.
In the PDF index simply click on Removing parts to expand and then hard drive.

I cannot find that code on Seagate site, what did they say.
They will tell you immediately.

Advertisements

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Seagate said..

Thank you for contacting Seagate.
I am sorry that you are having difficulty with your Seagate Product. Unfortunately, those codes indicate that the drive is failing and that it needs to be replaced. If you can, back up any data that you may need that is on that drive.

And the email continues to tell me about their warranty, but it's quite old so I don't think they'll cover it.

If I get the enclosure, do you think I will be able to repair it with Window Recovery Console, or should I skip that and proceed with what you posted earlier about restoring the operating system?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Any attempt to repair that on THAT HDD is pointless

You need a new hard drive. Then we can look at your chances of recovering to the new drive.

AtWitsEndAgain

AtWitsEndAgain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So I won't be able to return the current HDD back to the original operating state with PC Restore?
I'm considering getting a new computer because this current one is already quite old.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What I meant was, that according to Seagate the drive has defects which cannot be repaired.
It may be possible to get back in, but treating that as the solution is NOT the way to go.

If you wish to try, as I said WHEN you have recovered ALL your personal data we will proceed.
It is NOT best to try before you have recovered all you want, as if the drives FAILS completely under the stress of the repair options, you will then NOT recover anything.