Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy diskette seek failure

• Please log in to reply

dontaco

dontaco

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for all your hard work.I have learned a lot just reading the posts.I read all thru the past floppy diskette seek failure posts,but none pertain to my problem.When I turn computer on the Dell logo,then the black screen with the floppy diskette failure.Press f1 or f2 which dont do a darn thing.Stuck!Please help.I have a Dell Dimension E310

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello dontaco.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

You need to enter the bios or setup area on bootup and disable two things.
Take the floppy disk out of the boot sequence and then find the floppy drive seek setting and change it to disabled.
Save the settings and then it will reboot. Once it does the error message should go away.

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply.Im not sure how i can change the boot sequence,as the computer is stuck on that one pg were it says diskette failure...When i first turn it on i start hiting f8 but its stuck?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Instead of F8 try Del, F2 or F12
This has to be done as soon as you turn the system on and you have to keep tapping and not just click it once.

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
When the computer shows the Dell logo,thats when I start hitting the f8.Then the black page comes up and Im still hitting f8.Nothing she's stuck.Suggestions,is there a reset button inside I could hit?Just joking!

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Forgot to add it's a Dell DVOSI Series BIOS version AO4

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell - XPS, Dimension, Inspiron, Latitude. OptiPlex, Precision, Vostro

Press F2 when the Dell logo appears. Press every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.
Older Dell desktops and laptops may instead use Ctrl+Alt+Enter or Del to enter BIOS.
Older Dell laptops may use Fn+Esc or Fn+F1.

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you Rshaeffer61 so very much.Im sorry for the delay between posts,but i only have the one computer,and it's Down.I have tried all the f2 f12 f8s with no luck.I will cont' thru your instructions,and i just wanted to let you no about the delays and to thank you again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem as real life takes priority always. :)

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well hello again Rshaffer61,I tried all the different key strokes and Nada.It stays stuck on the black screen.I even went as far as opening it up to take the battery out for a min.Zip.Is there a reset button or such?Thanks Bud!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you tapping and continue to tap the button when you first turn the system on?

Press F2 when the Dell logo appears. Press every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.

Even though it says every few seconds I would suggest a constant tapping.

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Absolutely!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then let me ask is your keyboard USB or PS2?

dontaco

dontaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My keyboard is wireless,but has a usb receiver.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a standard PS2 keyboard you can plug in. Sometimes USB does not initiate on bootup and causes this exact issue.