Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive- boot errors

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hello!

I am helping to fix a computer for a coworker. They were not able to book up. There was an umountable boot volume error. I could not get windows to start any way I tried.

I went into the recovery console and did a chkdsk /p and a chkdsk /r

Things booted fine. I am going to update, defrag, etc. Is there anything else I should do to be sure this won't happen again? Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks for your help!
~Matt

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It could be sign the drive is failing. I would back up any critical data NOW, then do regular backups there after.

This could also happen if the computer suddenly came to a crashing halt - as caused by a power outage or being turned off without first "gracefully" shutting down Windows, or by a failing power supply, or excess heat. Or any number of other reasons - which makes troubleshooting these type problems difficult, at best.

While it may be a one-time event, I would stay ready for it to happen again. I also recommend opening the side panel and inspect the interior to ensure all fans are spinning, and that there is not a layer of heat trapping dust inside. If full of dust, gracefully shutdown Windows, unplug from the wall, and while touching bare metal of the case to prevent any destructive static discharges, carefully remove the dust (I generally recommend taking the computer outside and blast with compressed air).

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thank you for the help!