Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No signal

• Please log in to reply

mephistotrooms

mephistotrooms

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone, I´m having a hard time with my computer for a while now, and I have checked every single perspective that I could think of and still not solved and I have no clue on where the problem is.
Here is the deal... about a month ago my computer started acting weird, I press the power button and the monitor (AOC 22f 1080p) will stay with no signal and the button orange and if I restart or turn off and back on several times it worked dunno how... then it got to a point that it was not even starting after trying many times, and at some point I decided to remove the ram and put it back in, hoping it wasn't properly hooked into the slot and when I did, and powered on, it beeped with a long beep then powered off by itself and repeated the thing about three times, i.e. turn on, beep...off beep...off beep...off all by itself then again with the orange button all the time, I thought it was a ram issue so I ordered a new set of ram memories (Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel) I opened and inserted the new set of RAM and it started working just fine for two days...then I wanted to do a backup of my files on DVD´s and noticed that my cd/dvd burner was opening as usual but not being recognized by the OS(windows 7 Ultimate) so I turned it off, went into the BIOS and checked that it was there and it was, couldn't make it work from windows device manager so I turned it off and decided to change the SATA port to see if that would get it fixed, turned back on and guess what??? no signal and orange button again...I have checked the ram with another pc and they work, I have checked the video card (Radeon 5770 - ATI HD 5770 GPU - High Speed 1024MB DDR5 - Microsoft® DirectX®11) with another PC and it works too, the processor(Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale-3M, Dual-Core) as well and nothing...

I have turned it on while opened to check the inside and the processor fan works fine, the HD sounds normal, the only thing is that sometimes when I power it on I get long beeps and short beeps at some point (I´ve tried looking what does long and short beeps means for the Board: MSI P45T-C51 and couldn't find it, maybe that's my problem) I have even thought that it could be an electric problem other than a hardware issue, I got it to a technician and the dumb [bleep] told me that the video card is not working and that he tested it and didn't work and I have tried it on almost all of my friend´s PCs and it works... so what else could be?... there is no dirt inside my pc, is even cleaner than my room...aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.... I don´t know what to do. please help!!!

***My specs***
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz, 3MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Wolfdale-3M, Dual-Core
Video Card: Radeon 5770 - ATI HD 5770 GPU - High Speed 1024MB DDR5 - Microsoft® DirectX®11
RAM: Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel
Board: MSI P45T-C51
HD: Western Digital HD 500gb 7500rpm
CASE SHINOBI BLACK W/LED 480W 20+4P SATA
Power Supply: Thermaltake 550w
Monitor: AOC 22f 1080p
Speakers: Logitech 5.1 530x

Advertisements

mephistotrooms

mephistotrooms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
please help! #foreveralone :) lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

the only thing is that sometimes when I power it on I get long beeps and short beeps at some point (I´ve tried looking what does long and short beeps means for the Board: MSI P45T-C51 and couldn't find it, maybe that's my problem)

How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer Posted fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

Thanks to alandemartino for this tutorial.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Received via pm:

Hey according to my details what do you think could be wrong? I think at this point that it could be the mobo, im not sure because why no signal with a mobo issue? never seen that one before, I guess is either that or the vid card, and about the beep sounds, what if at some point I turn it on and get a long beep only one or maybe only a normal beep but still no video? I never get more than one beep but is either long or short but not more than one :s what could that be? :s if you can help I will greatly appreciate it because I miss my computer and dunno how to proceed now :) thanks in advance :yes:

Do any of the beep codes I posted match the beep codes you are getting?
It could be motherboard, cpu, memory or video card.

mephistotrooms

mephistotrooms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well not sure if when it says long beep refers to only 1 long beep, I usually only get one beep on start up, but it varies...sometimes one single long beep, sometimes one single short beep but in all cases no signal, I switched the RAM's slots from the A side to the B side, meaning from the black ones to the blue ones (I have 4 slots) and then it got the long beep and restarted 3 times, like this, beeeep restart...beeeep restart...beeep restart and then nothing, again I switch the RAMs and get sometimes short and sometimes long, I only get that beeping with autorestart while using the A slots, the black ones...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds more like a video issue. Do you have a video card you can install in the system to see if it will work?

mephistotrooms

mephistotrooms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I actually do...I had a nvidia 8400 before which I sold to a friend but I can borrow it and try it out, I just don't want to think its a vid card issue because is less than 6 months old and shouldn't be broken by now I guess, but I'm just wondering how come it could be a video card issue and working for two days by replacing the RAMs? this is the first time I face an issue so confusing like this one...but tomorrow I will try with my old vid card and re-post the results

Edited by mephistotrooms, 21 October 2011 - 08:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

but I'm just wondering how come it could be a video card issue and working for two days by replacing the RAMs?

I don't see where you say it worked after Replacing the memory.
The only thing you said was you moved the memory from the first two slots to the second two slots but still get beeps.
Did you replace the memory completely and if so is it now working?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I ordered a new set of ram memories (Corsair XMS2 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) PC2-6400 800 MHz 240-PIN DDR2 Dual-Channel) I opened and inserted the new set of RAM and it started working just fine for two days

It seems to me, on that evidence, that if it was NOT a ram fault, which I am not certain it was. then the fault MAY lie with either the motherboard or the power supply.
I think your first test is to run with ONE stick of ram.
Your motherboard manual will advise where this should be placed.
I have looked it up for you, insert one stick in DIMM1 nearest slot to procesor from your M/B manual
To enable successful system boot-up, always insert the memory modules into the
DIMM1 first

As a long shot, do you by any chance have a surge protector. If so disconnect it and run straight from AC power outlet.

That motherboard has a simple dip switch facility to overclock. Please confirm you have not set it. (If you have already conmfirmed you have NOT - I apologise for missing it) default is dip 1 UP dip 2 DOWN dip 3 UP. Other settings increase the processor frequency.

I know rshaffer61 has provided you with a list of error beep codes.
May I suggest that you first establish which BIOS is on that motherboard. The manual which I have downloaded covers five variants of that model
The BIOS is either AMI, Award or Phoenix
Upon boot-up, the 1st line appearing after the memory count is the BIOS version. It is
usually in the format:
A7519IMS V1.4 051509 where:
1st digit refers to BIOS maker as A = AMI, W = AWARD, and P = PHOENIX.

Then you need to go here
http://www.google.co...EfdrUIA&cad=rja

OR here to the MSI forum
http://forum-en.msi....?action=search2

I could NOT find the beep coes in the manual, but if you have the manual you will see the motherboard also has LED`s and the manual explains the meaning of one two or three leds. lit.
However it seems, from what I read, less explanative of errors than the beep codes.

Do not be concerned that I have come in on the Moderators responses. rshaffer61 and myself often work together.
He of course will take the lead.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2011 - 06:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:yes: :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Reference my previous post I found the beep codes for the htree BIOS types.
The only note of cauton is that I do now know how accurate the information is, as it is an old post on the MSI forum
AMI BIOS:
1 beep - System boot successfull
*1beep - Refresh failure - (NO VIDEO) memory refresh failure (bad memory)
2 beeps - Parity error - bad memory
3 beeps - Base 64K memory failure - bad memory
4 beeps - Timer not operational - bad motherboard
5 beeps - Processor error - bad processor
6 beeps - 8042 gate A20 failure - bad cpu or mainboard
7 beeps - Processor exception interput error - bad processor
8 beeps - Display memory read/write failure - bad video card or memory
9 beeps - ROM checksum error - bad BIOS
10 beeps - CMOS shutdown register read/write error - bad motherboard
11 beeps - Cache memory bad - bad CPU or motherboard
12 beeps - BIOS rom file incorrect size - The BIOS ROM file found does not match the size of the flash device
13 beeps - BIOS rom image mismatch - The BIOS ROM file layout configuration does not match image present in the flash device
5 short + 1 long beeps - Memory error - No memory detected in the memory slots.
6 short + 1 long beeps - Memory error - EDO memory detected in system
7 short + 1 long beeps - SMBUS error

AWARD BIOS:
1 short - System boot successfull
2 short - CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short - DRAM or M/B error
1 long 2 short - Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short - Keyboard error
1 long 9 short - BIOS ROM error
*repeated beeps - DRAM error
*repeated short beeps - Power error
*Repeated high & low beeps - Processor is damaged/Overheated

PHOENIX BIOS:
1 - 1 - 2 CPU / motherboard failure Bad CPU / motherboard
1 - 1 - 3 CMOS read/write failure Bad motherboard
1 - 1 - 4 BIOS ROM failure Bad BIOS chip
1 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 2 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 3 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 3 - 1 Memory refresh failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 1 Address line failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 2 Parity error Bad memory
1 - 4 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 4 - 4 NMI port failure Bad motherboard
2 - 1 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
3 - 1 - 1 Slave DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 2 Master DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 3 Interrupt controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 -4 Slave IC failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 -2 Interrupt Controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 2 - 4 Keyboard control failure Bad motherboard
3 - 3 - 1 CMOS batter failure Bad CMOS battery
3 - 3 - 2 CMOS configuration error Incorrect setting
3 - 3 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 3 - 4 Video memory failure Bad video card or memory
3 - 4 - 1 Video init failure Bad video card or memory
4 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 2 CMOS shutdown failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 3 Gate A20 failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 4 Unexpected interrupt Bad processor
4 - 3 - 1 RAM test failure Bad memory
4 - 3 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 3 - 4 RTC failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 1 Serial port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 2 Parallel port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 3 Coprocessor failure Bad motherboard or CPU.
9 - 2 - 1 Video adapter incompatibility Use a different brand of video card

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still say the issue is the video memory or the video adapter itself. Either way I think if a video add on card was installed the issue would be resolved.