Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xP SMART error. What are my options?

• Please log in to reply

DGS

DGS

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have Windows XP on a Compaq Presario. I am getting a S.M.A.R.T. ERROR and it will not load Windows at all, not even in Safe Mode.

I do have my Recovery Disk. Everything is backed up except one file which I would like to backup if I can - that is a QData file which is from my Quicken Program that I use for reconciling my bank accounts.

I am able to load the Puppy OS and get the Puppy desktop, but I am not able to connect to the internet, I don't know if I really need to, but just thought I would mention it in case it could be relevant. My internet is currently wireless to my own personal Lam through our cable connection. We have two other computers in our house (including this one I am using now) on the wireless network.

I put the Puppy OS on a CD which I have been loading from my CD/DVD Drive.
I also have a USB Flash Drive available.

I have two question topics:
Question topic 1 - While I am able to get the Puppy OS Loaded, I cannot seem to figure out how to get to the QData file to back it up.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me as I am not real technically oriented and may be missing something in the instructions that came with the Puppy download.

Question topic 2 -(Supposing I am unable to get that file backed up.) Random Googling the S.M.A.R.T. error leads me to the conclusion that a S.M.A.R.T. error could be indicative of a bad Hard Drive. Is that true? or could it be pointing at other hardware? and if so Should I try to recover Windows from the recovery disk onto our current HD, or is that a waste of time? Should I buy a replacement INTERNAL hard drive? What if I instead buy an EXTERNAL Hard Drive, can I load Windows XP onto it from my recovery disc? (I am thinking of that alternative as an option, because I could use it to back up all 3 computers???)

I am quite unsure as to what steps I can take, or should take.

We are retired and on a very very limited budget and need to be mindful of any unjustified spending. I want to know how to be sure what I need to get.

I hope this post isn't rambling too much.

Any suggestions, questions, directions that can help me resolve our issues would be most appreciated.
Thank you all

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is the SMART error you are getting indicate imminent hard drive failure? If so then you are going to have to replace it at some point.

As for Puppy Linux, you don't need to connect to the internet to use it to backup the qdata file you want to save.

You could try turning off SMART in your BIOS Setup and see if that allows you to boot. How you do this varies with each computer and BIOS maker but if you look around you should be able to find it. You get to BIOS setup by pressing F1, F2, Del or F10 during boot. Which one to use if normally shown on the screen during boot.

If it does boot you can run like that until the hard drive fails, which could be minutes or months, no way to tell.