Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My yahoo account is sending spam! Please help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello maliprog. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have an interesting problem now. I couldn't get internet explorer to open any websites. I was able to log onto the internet, but I kept getting the "cannot find the page" screen when I tried to get into any website. When I turned off Malwarebytes it didn't seem to make any difference. Then I also turned off Macafee's real time scanning (but not the firewall), and I was able to operate normally. What do you make of that? I would have replied sooner, except I couldn't get online. Right now, everything seems to running normally, except for that odd problem with Macafee.

Thanks.
MLPJD

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
I have never herd taht McAfee does this. Do you have any other problems? Can you try to reinstall McAfee (you'll need you license)?

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hmmmmmm. That might be tough. Let me dig through my e-mails and see how I bought McAfee. If it did it online, I might be able to reinstall. I definitely don't have a disk. I just had trouble opening McAfee from the desktop icon by double clicking, but it opened when I tried to run it as administrator.

These issues seemed to be triggered by ComboFix. Perhaps it would be easier to go back to the restore point before I ran ComboFix? But I don't want to do that if ComboFix got rid of something really nasty on my computer.

What do you think? While I wait for your reply, I'll research about reinstalling McAfee, but I won't do anything until I hear back from you.

Thanks,
MLPJD

P.S. I did just buy a printer and installed that today. That shouldn't impact anything I think, but I wanted to make sure you knew.

mlpjd

mlpjd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello maliprog. Ok, I turned off the computer and let it sit for awhile. Now I'm back in, I turned real time scanning back on in McAfee, and everything is running just fine. I also rebooted and tried it again, and things are great. The only weird thing that happened was that Yahoo prompted me for to change my password on my account (the first one that I had a problem with). I did that, and nothing looks out of place. I've never had Yahoo do that before. It said it thought my account was compromised. Anything I should be doing about that? I don't think I need to reinstall McAfee since things seem to running fine. Once I hear back from about the Yahoo password change prompt, I will proceed to do the cleanup items you posted. Thanks. MLPJD

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Glad to hear that you system is good. Sometimes you mail provider do that if you connected to your account from different location then usual. If you got this message from yahoo just once that is fine but if you get second and third in short time that is probably not good.

I get those messages for my gmail account from once in while. From my experience it's good to change your password from time to time.

Please continue with cleanup.

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.