Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Did I Do Right Thing By Paying Additional Money For Razer DeathAdder?

• Please log in to reply

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I am not a gamer and work on laptop. I go mobile rarely and use laptop as desktop computer because it is more convenient than desktop PC.

I bought Razer DeathAdder Black Edition because i was told that it is better for office work since it offers "palm rest" in ergonomics while still thinking about Logitech Marathon m705. The price difference was $23 more for DeathAdder. m705 has 3 years warranty and DeathAdder has 2 years.

I read reviews on Amazon that m705 has mouse wheel that requires pressure to click and also accidentally scrolls as you click. I read reviews on DeathAdder Black Edition as well that tell the firmware causes mouse to stop operating or bricks mouse.

Did i make mistake by paying more for Razer just for ergonomics and office use? I feel unrestful about my decision.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You probably wasted a bit of money but I doubt $23 will send you to the poor house.

That said, NOBODY - so don't let them - can tell you what mouse (or keyboard) to get. These are HIDs - human interface devices and as such, are extensions of YOUR hands. Not Joe's, Bob's or Sally's hands, but your hands. So a mouse must "feel" right in your hand, not theirs.

I do not put much attention into "user reviews". For one, happy users don't complain so you only read about the exceptions. And until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be failures.

On sites like Newegg where there may be many reviews, I will skim through them to see if users are reporting the EXACT SAME problem, indicating a trend, and then I might avoid it. Otherwise, I just pay attention to professional review sites. But in the end, for HID devices, I visit my local consumer electronics store and touch and feel them for myself.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Otherwise, I just pay attention to professional review sites. But in the end, for HID devices, I visit my local consumer electronics store and touch and feel them for myself.

Unfortunately this is rarity here and most you can do is hold box in your hands.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Ummm, I don't know. Perhaps it depends on where you live. Here in the Omaha area there are big electronics stores that have dozens of keyboards and mice to "play" with.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
My old Microsoft Optical Standard Mouse works! Today tested Razer and same thing happened as with old mouse - mouse loses direction or correct DPI count and ends up several cm's away. I tested in MS Paint and when was painting circles this happened. But why did Microsoft Wireless Mouse 3000 did not show such symptoms? Well it did actually, but because of lower DPI than my Microsoft Optical Mouse and Razer i think i could not notice discrepancies between both.

So far it seems optical and IR mice do not pick-up DPI correctly on my desk which is covered with oilcloth. But why could this be? I have Previously Microsoft Optical Standard Mouse worked well and now it does not? Can this be because of a cleaning liquid i used one day on oilcloth? I doubt, but i remember i also used anti-ant spray so maybe it is the culprit?

I had a sticker so i placed it on the oilcloth and it helped solve the problem but it hardly sticks to oilcloth maybe because of anti-ant spray i used as mentioned.

Take a look at the picture please:

Posted Image

I wonder if laser mouse would work on that oilcloth...

Well, i did not waste $72 i would say but if i knew the problem was in oilcloth earlier, i would stay with Microsoft Optical Standard Mouse. At least i have 2 more buttons now which will help for surfing web...

Edited by Boris_yo, 19 October 2011 - 12:37 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I haven't used any sort of pad since going with laser mice. That said, different surfaces reflect in different ways. Your desktop may work fine but it not being a solid color surface may be a problem. That said, my keyboard tray, where I keep my mouse is woodgrained, and works perfectly.