Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem Sounds

• Please log in to reply

craigjohnson

craigjohnson

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I log on the internet, my modem speaker makes the normal WEEEEOOOOO PAHKKKKKKK RRREEREREREREEE noises, but on top of those noises, I can hear my mouse making a whhikkk noise when I move it. Also, If I minimize a window, it makes a noise like weeehoop. It seems that my monitor actions are coming through on my modem. Finally, my internet connection only lasts for around 5 minutes and is very slow. Do these noises disconnect me from the dial-up internet? Is there another problem I may be facing? HELP

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome craigjohnson :D

WEEEEOOOOO PAHKKKKKKK RRREEREREREREEE

LOL! That's actually very good <_<

I think the additional noises you're hearing are normal RFI interference. The volume of your modem must be pretty loud to be hearing it though.

Has your Internet connection been more reliable in the past? If this is a recent problem, I would first start by checking for spyware. See the Spyware Tools link in my signature.

If you've always experienced this problem, or if spyware isn't causing it, I'd recommend you buy a new hardware modem. Most modems today are actually just software emulation powered by your CPU.

A hardware processes all the information on the modem itself. It's connections are much more reliable, and usually faster (especially if you're in a remote area). Expect to pay >$50 for a hardware modem.