Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LEDs flash a CPU error

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hey guys, first let me say sorry for the grammr and spelling as Im typing from an iPad. Anyways, last night I was using my laptop with no issues and with no warning my monitor turned off and went black. I thought maybe it was the backlight but I turned the laptop off and killed the power to it before turning it back on. The monitor turned on and showed the bios setup as thatswhat I hit but then it shut off again. Another restart and this time my keyboard lights blinked. HP says that the lights indicate an issue with the CPU. Well my question is, if it's CPU related shouldn't the laptop at least kick into the bios? My plan is to remove the CPU and reinsert it and hope that will fix it...if not then I'm gonna replace the CPU. I there any other options I should try?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Well it's still giving the CPU error. Hopefully a new one will fix it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What is your laptop's model number?

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

What is your laptop's model number?

HP DV7 1245dx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi brettxw, while Neil is offline I will pitch in if that is ok.

if it's CPU related shouldn't the laptop at least kick into the bios?

No as the power on self test (POST) will not complete http://www.poweronselftest.com/
Have you tried connecting to an external screen via the VGA port, also you said you suspected the backlight, if you shine a flashlight into the screen can anything be seen in the background?
It is also possible that the integrated video chip has failed, a guide to help you with any repairs you may undertake
http://www.insidemyl...n-dv7-notebook/ checking the CPU fan and cleaning out heat trapping dust are examples of tasks you may do.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Hi brettxw, while Neil is offline I will pitch in if that is ok.

if it's CPU related shouldn't the laptop at least kick into the bios?

No as the power on self test (POST) will not complete http://www.poweronselftest.com/
Have you tried connecting to an external screen via the VGA port, also you said you suspected the backlight, if you shine a flashlight into the screen can anything be seen in the background?
It is also possible that the integrated video chip has failed, a guide to help you with any repairs you may undertake
http://www.insidemyl...n-dv7-notebook/ checking the CPU fan and cleaning out heat trapping dust are examples of tasks you may do.

Thank you for that link!! I was able to clean the built up dust..There was quite a lot of dust built up inside. I took everything apart, and put it all back together and when I turned it on, it still did the CPU error code (single blinking light)..If it was a graphic issue, wouldn't that produce a 4 blinking light error? 3 is memory and I forgot what 2 is but either way would a CPU light code error have something to do with graphics? And if I put a flash light up to the screen, its just black.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Doesn`t look good for the CPU I`m afraid, does the CPU fan operate correctly, how dirty was the fan when you opened up the case, I am trying to establish if the CPU has overheated, it is also possible that the MB is the cause of the issue with a bad power supply or bad CPU socket causing a CPU malfunction.

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Doesn`t look good for the CPU I`m afraid, does the CPU fan operate correctly, how dirty was the fan when you opened up the case, I am trying to establish if the CPU has overheated, it is also possible that the MB is the cause of the issue with a bad power supply or bad CPU socket causing a CPU malfunction.

CPU fan comes on when started but stops about 30 seconds after start up so I don't believe it was an overheat issue. I hope its not the mobo, gr. What are other ways to eliminate the mobo?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Repairing laptops is difficult and is normally best left to a tech who has both the correct equipment and the knowledge
to undertake the task as there is very little testing or repairs that can be done by the average user, you can however reseat the present CPU yourself.
Have you tried powering up with only one stick of Ram fitted?
If you decide to remove and inspect the CPU you will need some TIM (thermal interface material) for applying to the CPU before replacing the heatsink, a tutorial courtesy of Digerati http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/292223-thermal-interface-material/