Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

These files can’t be opened. Your Internet security settings prevented

• Please log in to reply

vanglak

vanglak

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I've tried just about all of other tech support forums but they did't seem like they were giving a real live answer to this problem, which I swear there has to be something small that is driving me insane. Whenever I try to open a software or exe file, I get the following message:

These files can’t be opened. Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.

I've tried everything across the board but a problem will always pop up.

1. Turning off firewall, turning off anti-virus softwares, setting internet security at the lowest, and enabling unsafe application launches.
>>>>Does not work.

2. Turning off UAC from User Accounts Control panel, moving the slider to the bottom.
>>>>When I did that, I clicked OK but nothing happens. No prompts for restarting or anything. I clicked x, closing it and bringing it back up. The slider was back where it was. I tried restarting after clicking OK and closing it, it still went back on. I also attempted this in SAFE MODE but when I clicked OK, the same above window popped up. 'These files can't be opened...'

3. Disabling UAC via command line.
>>>>Either I was given the wrong command or it says "Error:Access Denied." In my accounts panel, it says that I am administrator but sometimes I doubt it. I cannot open a lot of softwares. Some are pretty well-known.

4. Disabling UAC vis regedit.
>>>>Given extension was non-existent or mismatch in my regedit list. it was something like {F35132136..}

5. Elevate administrator's rights? Not sure how to do this.

6. System Restore and Last known configuration.
>>>>Not applicable- it has been going on for months. It wasn't something sudden.

I also ran Malware Bytes twice and received no results- no threats. Spybot- Search and Destroy did not find anything.

So What do you think? It has to do something with administrator rights? If so, how do I elevate it? Because I think all routes to the resolution will be blocked by some kind of privilege messages.
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Also something's weird...when I clicked on change language keyboard input, this popped up as well, which doesnt make sense since it is Windows.
Sincerely, Monica

Edited by vanglak, 18 October 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you tried this from an Elevated Command Prompt?

See here: How to Open a Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

vanglak

vanglak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you tried this from an Elevated Command Prompt?

See here: How to Open a Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

Hi, thanks for a quick reply. I was able to disable UAC via this method. Thank you... but then I had to test it. I tried to download a software, and now it asks me to choose a program from the list. How do I open the .exe files if it doesn't recognize it as a .exe and run it automatically?

vanglak

vanglak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Please help, after this method, I am no longer able to download files of any kind from IE and firefox. on IE8. It said:

"Unable to open this Internet site. The Requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

I've tried microsoft answers on this issue but their instructions for Windows 7 doesn't match mine. "Add value" wasnt in the edit menu. Now I updated the IE to 9. The below bar says unable to download. So it's the same issue. I cannot download from firefox either.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

These files can't be opened. Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.

Where are these files please.
Is this computer part of a network and are the files on the network OR is it your computer, not on network.

If the computer is NOT on network - ie: connected to other computers etc. go IE Tools and Internet Options, then the Advanced tab and RESET all settings to default.
Apply and OK.
Reboot and now try

If that does not work try this please
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
User Account Control permission.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the
password, Or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.
ALSO check to ensure your anti-virus program is active in the clean boot.

If that does not work to return to normal boot do this
Reset the computer to start as usual
9. After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER
10. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
11. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If the clean boot situation did solve the problem then you need to do this
If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Also you need to uninstall and reinstall the problem software on your computer.

NB If this computer is connected to network and those files are on a network drive the situation is VERY different - do not proceed as outlined

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.