Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't load black screen blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

Shannon Hailey

Shannon Hailey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Compaq Presario C751 NR Notebook PC that won't load windows xp...the only f keys that will work are F1- system info F2 Start up check (all passed) F9 (change boot device order) and F10 Bios setup.(did a hard disk short self test and this was fine as well). F8 and F11(system recovery) do not work and when I am at the black screen with the blinking cursor, it makes a horrible buzzing noise if I attempt to type anything but nothing shows up. before this happened, my pc was slow and possibly may have gotten a virus. let me know if there is anything I can do or if I have to get a new hard drive.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

am at the black screen with the blinking cursor, it makes a horrible buzzing noise

If this buzzing noise, is coming from inside the laptop it is either the CPU fan, that is not spinning and the buzzing is the bearing bush or the fan motor, this could be caused by an extremely heavy build up of dust on the fan OR it may, if it were not for the hard disk test have been from the hard drive which has effectively gone beyond recovery, although that is more usually a clicking sound as the read/write head tries to move acroos the platters of the disc., although as it passed the test, this seems unlikely

The clue is I think that it was SLOW before this latest fault.
However that could be a numberof things, including hardly any free space on the hard drive - do you know if there was.
Are the air vents clean.

Examine if the buzzing noise is from inside the laptop, or is it from the inbuilt speakers.

CHECK that you do NOT have a key stuck down on the keypad.

Change boot order to CD and make this disc and boot from that. See if it will load Puppy.
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Puppy can also be used to recover your data, but your first approach is to see if we can get a boot to Puppy.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 October 2011 - 06:36 PM.

Shannon Hailey

Shannon Hailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
CLEARED ALL THE DUST OUT FROM THE FAN...DIDN'T HELP. I WILL GIVE THE OTHER OPTION A TRY. THANKS

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So where is the buzzing noise coming from. Inside the computer or via the inbuilt speaker.

AND do you know if there is free space at least, and that is the least 10% on the Hard drive.

If you know there was free space, disconnect the power lead, take out the battery, hold down the power switch for a FULL 20 seconds and then reconnect the power lead, try again without the battery in.

Here are the detailed instructions
DO THIS FIRST - Perform a hard reset If a PC suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset as the first procedure.
  • Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer not the accessories!
  • Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds .
  • Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.
Actions to take after performing hard reset If no error message is displayed:Black Screen with No Error Messages If the display remains blank (black screen or white screen) after doing a hard reset, temporarily connect an external monitor to test the notebook's display . If an image displays on the external monitor, continue to perform the tests, install drivers, and make adjustments as described in the next section. Connect an external monitor to test the display

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 October 2011 - 06:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Shannon Hailey

It is now three days since you said you would try the other options.
Have you managed to make any progress on the issue please.
When you get chance would you kindly post indicating if you still require help.
Thank you

Shannon Hailey

Shannon Hailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was able to download the files you suggested onto a cd and was able to load puppy...however I do not have a flash drive to transfer files. once I have one I will give it a try. thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Shannon Hailey

I am offline from tonight until late 5 Nov
Good luck with it.
If you post requiring help someone else will very likely assist.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Shannon Hailey

Your post 29 October

I was able to download the files you suggested onto a cd and was able to load puppy...however I do not have a flash drive to transfer files. once I have one I will give it a try. thanks

Did you get one and how have you progressed and do you still require help on the problem please.