Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Additional HDD for Dimension 4600i ?

• Please log in to reply

Tyeman

Tyeman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I need to get a new extra HDD for my Dimension 4600i can anyone advise which type of disk I should get as I am not familiar with the terminology.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If my information is correct, your 4600i has two internal NON-SATA IDE connectors and two internal SATA hard drive connectors.

One of the two IDE conectors is already taken by the existing factory-fitted drive, so the simplest route is to buy another NON-SATA IDE DRIVE and connect it to the second IDE connector which sits alongside the one that's alrady in use. You will have to buy an 80-wire data ribbon cable in order to do that unless you already have one somewhere.

Also check that there is a spare 4-pin female molex power connector coming from the power supply unit. If not, you'll also need to buy a Y-connector which converts one molex 4-pin female connector into two female connectors.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 19 October 2011 - 01:16 PM.