Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My inspiron got the same problem

• Please log in to reply

Silly

Silly

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My

DELL Inspiron 4150 does not pass the POST most of the times, and i do think it has somethign to do with my memory but... i dunno for sure...

my dell does boot sometimes, but will freez within 15mins. When it wont boot its caps lock led will flash 10 times and then the laptop shutsdown.

I tried to run memtest86+ it starts but crashes after it found 10000+ error's.

Since this happends i maybe think that my computer is broke elsewhere too... cos this memtest86+ tool doesn't that much memory that it would crash

If anyone knows anything pls help me out....

:tazz:

Edited by Silly, 01 June 2005 - 09:44 AM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
your ram is definitely toast. you will need to replace that before you can really try to solve any other problems.
chances are good that fixing the ram problems will clear up any other issues, but if others do arise, we can help you figure them out!

Silly

Silly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Why are you so sure about the fact that my memory is toast when the bus or the power supply to my memory block might be failing aswell...

And seccondly if i buy a new one will it be dead after the first time i boot my computer? or....

thanx for trying to help!

Xander

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
10,000 errors. memtest checks out all aspects of the ram.
run the test again, and watch where the errors start racking up.

its certainly possible that the motherboard has developed some problems, but its not nearly as likely as the ram doing that.

I suppose to be sure, you could install new ram, and run memtest on it. if errors start showing again, then something else must be wrong. I dont really think this will be the case however.

another option- if you have another machine you could install the current ram into, do that, and run memtest there. if the problem follows the ram, then you know.