Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer beeps at post.

• Please log in to reply

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am having troubles with my pc and I hope you can help.
I have rebuilt my pc and it is not working. It beeps at post 5 times and then 6 times.
So far, I have reset the CMOS, checked all cables, swapped cpu, motherboard (I get the same problem), ram around.
I am stumped what to do. I am thinking it could be something to do with the power supply, as it seems conincedental that it occurs with a different motherboard and cpu.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Thomas and welcome.

It does not sound like a PSU problem to me, more like a RAM, CPU or graphics problem. But sadly, you told us nothing about your computer specs so we have no way of telling what the beeps mean. Check your motherboard manual - the codes are often listed in there.

But, you have tried a different CPU and a different motherboard and got the same beeps? Same RAM, but you tried it different slots?

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Both motherboards are Asus, one is Asus 8ne sli deluxe, and the other is Asus A8ne. The first has a AMD 4200 socket 939 cpu, and the later has a 3200 socket 939. I tried shifting the Ram around, and also tried with it in only one slot. It still gave the same code.

Thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I can't find either of those boards - not uncommon with older boards.

Since we are talking about different CPUs and motherboards, then it could be the PSU (make sure all connections are connected), the graphics card, or RAM. I would try another graphics card.

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I changed the ram around, now, I have one stick in b1 and it beeps 1 long beep and then 2beeps. I have been reading that this is a video card problem, but others have said it is a ram problem. I am totally confused.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And sadly, there is no standard for beep codes and so troubleshooting can be difficult.

I would recommend you work with one CPU and one motherboard at a time. And I always want to do I have good power so I routinely swap in a know good power supply whenever I am troubleshooting to make sure. Then as I noted above, I would try another graphics card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
American Megatrends Inc. (AMI) BEEP Codes:
• 5 Beeps - Processor Errors
• 6 Beeps - Keyboard controller BAT test error.

I have one stick in b1 and it beeps 1 long beep and then 2beeps

General Beep Codes:
If the BIOS manufacturer is unknown the following will be the general Beep codes:
• 1 Long and 2 Short Beeps ?Bad Video Card
For future reference http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I saw the same codes here but he tried two CPUs. That does not mean both CPUs can't be shot. But that's why I went for the graphics.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
Yes the initial and the latter error codes are contradictory, the reason I included the AMI and general beep codes was to emphasize that there is no one standard of error beep code :)
Haveaproblemhelp please provide the brand and output of the PSU + the add on video card details.

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The power supply is ATX xilence 550W, and the graphics card is a Sapphire HD4830.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did that graphics card ever work with this setup? Note there are 4 Sapphire HD4830 models. I found a "series" manual that shows that card requires either 1 or 2 separate power connections (depending on specific model in that series) from the PSU. Did you connect it/them?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts
http://www.dooyoo.co...r-550w/details/ does not list a 6 pin pci-e connection this one
http://cdlnz.com/ind...&code=PSU-XP550 does however :)

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The graphics card previously worked on this setup. The card is the 512m dual dvi/tvo. I have connected the 6 pin power, and it is seated correctly in the pci e slot. I have also tried the other slot. The light comes on the back of the card, I deduce from this that the card is getting power and is not dead. Maybe, the ram, but all four sticks?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No, it is not likely all four sticks - but not impossible either. Normally I would suspect the motherboard but you have tried two. And while it is certainly possible both boards could be bad, that would be odd too.

So assuming the RAM is compatible with both boards, I guess I would look there.

That said, a bad PSU can take out anything connected to it - including both boards, and anything else you connect.

I might use a FrozenCPU Ultimate PSU Tester to be safe, but sure all is fine.

Haveaproblemhelp

Haveaproblemhelp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Graphics card is broken, as well as one stick of ram. :)

Thanks for the assistance.