Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get Welcome screen to log to different Start screen.

• Please log in to reply

billg678

billg678

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My Welcome Screen has two user names that appear: Administrator Access, and Daily User.

Up until a week ago, if I clicked on the WELCOME Screen's Daily User icon a particular Desktop/Start screen would appear. However, after backing up some files and logging off from the Admin. User’s side, something I did during that backup process now causes my computer to bring up a different Desktop/Start screen which is associated with the folder listed under my wife’s name to appear.

Folders listed under C drive’s “Documents & Folders” are:
All Users – one that is seldom used;
Daily User – this is where my previous Desktop/Start screen is located;
Wife’s name – this is where the new Desktop/Start screen runs;
William – my Desktop/Start screen for Admin. User.

How do I get my computer to revert back to the prior “Daily User”’s Desktop/Start Screen when I click the Welcome Screen’s Daily User icon?

Update October 21:

NO REPLIES AFTER 30 REVIEWS?? Have I confused my reviewers or not clearly described the problem; or is it too simple a question to merit someone's time?

Edited by billg678, 21 October 2011 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:37 AM
Update October 21:
NO REPLIES AFTER 30 REVIEWS?? Have I confused my reviewers or not clearly described the problem; or is it too simple a question to merit someone's time?
This post has been edited by billg678: Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Note that the times may show my local time after logging in - My current local time is Sunday morning and I am reviewing this now.

Hello billg678 -
Please note that all questions are not always as simple as you may think, and most of them require some research.
My parents always said to first say Please, and to finish with Thank You, when asking for something (especially free) .

There is no question that the generally "Volunteer staff" here choose to Ignore deliberately or refuse to answer unless it is abusive.

With that said ; I will now try to find some related answers to your question -

Thank You -

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -
A quick first reply would be to ask if you have (or done) a System Restore in the last week to try and solve this.
I would have done that as soon as the problem was noticed, as this may solve the situation.

Next, have you noticed any other problems, strange activities, with the general operation (especially on line problems) ? ?
This must be followed by, are your Antivirus and Antimalware programs fully updated and have you scanned daily with them ? ?
By Antimalware programs I tend to refer to those like Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware as being among the better ones.

Have you got the computer set up with 2 partitions, or simply 2 internal accounts ? ?

If you could please check these items and respond to them, I will keep a watch on this topic -

Regards -

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
billg678

Have I confused my reviewers or not clearly described the problem; or is it too simple a question to merit someone's time?

It will not be either, as noknojon, has already said. It will simply be due to the vast number of posts on the site and simply that no one got around to dealing with your thread. The reviews may have course been by people looking, to see if your post related to their problem. None of these reviews MAY have been by members who assist with problems.

That all said, when you do receive a response, you do not always reply, to the suggestions/help offered.

For example on the 11 October you posted this thread
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

I replied on 12 October, you have NEVER responded.

and then, although it is going back to 2009, on 6Jan you posted this
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
you recieved a reply the same day and again NEVER responded.

Please be assured that we at GeekstoGo attempt to offer help to all who post. VERY occasionally one post may be missed, and more often, but still few in number compared with the vast amount of posts, one may wait a few days for a reply. This situation is recognised and a special forum is dedicated to the matter - called The Waiting Room.

The Waiting Room
Waiting for help? Been at least 3 days? Sorry we missed you! Create a new topic in this special forum and you'll get a response.

May I ask that you do respond to the help offered, either to pursue the matter through to a conclusion, or of course as it is your thread, you may simply post at anytime that you no longer require help ,on that particular thread, preferably indicating if the problem as been solved and HOW. This is of great benefit to people browsing the site and looking at the various posts.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 October 2011 - 12:10 PM.

billg678

billg678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Macboatmaster as well as to Noknowjon,
My apologies to both concerning my post(s); no rudeness was intended, but now reading my update reply it is easily seen how that came across.

Noknowjon's reply references my first post concerning this current problem and as best as can recall that is as much as I can explain the circumstances. These two October postings reflect what I'm trying to resolve - i.e. they are tied together.

I did a system restore and nothing changed as far as the log-on process, i.e., it still goes thru (I presume) my wife's named folder instead of the prior one called "Daily User."

I have McAfee Total Sys Protection every thing "ON"; and have also done several Malwarebyte scans - nothing appears amiss.

Concerning separate partitions: probably not, but I'm not certain of that, only that my initial Log-on Screen contains two icon choices: one for the Admn access via password; and the other icon "Daily User."

I can get into the folder called "Daily User" by accessing the "C" and driving down to it and find all my files intact; my Admin account files are also intact and the log-on into the Admin account occurs without any problem.

I decided not to attempt a second Restore not knowing if I was possibly going to create additional problems.

If either of you feel that the issue will only be resolved by complicated (to a novice) instructions, just say so (i.e., don't waste your time) and I will simply make do - (although my wife is not happy!) and I do/will appreciate the efforts!!

billg678

billg678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
noknojon,
I'm not sure how your next day reply (Oct 12) to my Oct 11 query was overlooked; and with my lastest query on the same subject, obviously, I missed it although I would've sworn I had checked back in order to find someone with a solution.

Please check my response to MacBoat... as it answers the questions you posted on Oct 12 - and thank you for posting.

Regarding your help on my long ago problem with the picture, a much belated "Thank you" I did not pursue that approach as that particular picture was essentially a one-time(?) issue and felt it added more software "know-how" beyond what my daily/normal level would normally be.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thank you for posting and your apology.
Please just ensure that in future you do respond, even if it it transpires to be a one time issue, when of course you may simply post indicating that you no longer require help.

1. To deal with the problem of this thread and the question of partitions Firstly open My Computer - how many Hard disc drives are shown - just the one C Drive or others.
Then go Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management and Disk management.
Caution - You are advised not to make any changes.
Is what is shown there the same as in My Computer.

2. Go Control Panel - User Accounts what accounts are shown there as available for log on.

3. Now do this

To disable or activate a user account
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open Computer Management

In the console tree, click Users.

Where?

Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Users

Right-click the user account you want to change, and then click Properties.

Do one of the following:

•To disable the selected user account, select the Account is disabled check box.

•To activate the selected user account, clear the Account is disabled check box.

Note

•To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.

•A disabled account still exists, but the user is not permitted to log on. It appears in the details pane, but the icon has an X in it.

•When a user account is activated, the user is permitted to log on normally.

•The built-in Administrator account cannot be disabled.

Posted ImageTop of page