Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get Welcome screen to log to different Start screen.

• Please log in to reply

billg678

billg678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Re: “Well unless I have misunderstood you, or you me, I thought that Daily User...”

Wish I could draw a picture instead of going the 1000 word route, but can’t, so here’s what I see from my side:

A. On the control panel’s System folder under Advanced, User Profiles, there are only two users’ profiles listed under Settings:
1. William
2. Judy (i.e. the folder I described as wife’s name folder)
To change either name, do I simply re-type over the existing name?

B. Opening the Control Panel, “User Accounts” shows two user names of which the first two are also listed on the Welcome Screen for log-on purpose as
1. Admn Access Only -
2. Daily User - this name has always been there – never changed, and until the problem started when I clicked it to log on, brought up to the correct “Daily User” Home Page. Now, though, when I click on it, from what I gather, it loads the C3’s Home Page.
3. Guest – (Guest account is off) and consequently not shown on the Welcome screen.

C. Opening the C drive, under Documents and Settings, I find listed the following folder names:
1. All Users – this appears to be a necessary folder.
2. Daily User – this data group (I think) use to load my old (preferred) Home page.
3. Judy – (wife’s name folder) this is where the wrong/new log-on is running from.
4. New Daily User – have no idea where this came from and prefer it deleted.
5. TEMP – have no idea what created this and prefer it also deleted.
6. William – i.e., my “Admn Access Only” files come from here and relates to A1.

Given the above, I believe you’re saying that the data from C3 has become the loading source of the (new) login homepage of the user currently labeled “Judy” in A2.

What I want is:
Rename A2 to “Daily User” - HOW?
Have the home page of C2 load after log-in from the Welcome screen icon named “Daily User” (i.e. new name for A2) - HOW?
Then I think I’m safe in deleting the C3 folder from Documents and Settings??

Or is some of my problem (also) stemming from the “B” section data?

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -
Sorry but I have been busy and not following all of Mac's answers, so Please pick me up if I have doubled on those replys.

Under "User Accounts" have you clicked on the 3 sub listings at the left side panel ?
Learn About - "User Accounts" - "User Account Types" - "Switching Users" - I only have Me as Computer Admin + Guest account (Off)
As you basically say "We cannot see (exactly) what is listed" -

Rename A2 to "Daily User" HOW? Click on "Rename a user account" linked below in blue.
A. On the control panel's System folder under Advanced, User Profiles, there are only two users' profiles listed under Settings:
1. William
2. Judy (i.e. the folder I described as wife's name folder)
To change either name, do I simply re-type over the existing name? <<-- •Rename a user account

I am only picking through the folders as you have listed them.
1. All Users – this appears to be a necessary folder.<<--Usually contains M/soft files etc.
3. Judy – (wife's name folder) this is where the wrong/new log-on is running from.<<--Can you open this, and check the files in there, and save these files to USB or similar and reinstall later ??
4. New Daily User – have no idea where this came from and prefer it deleted.<<--What is in this folder ?? If nothing you can delete it.

Now Download TFC cleaner (from GeeksToGo site) and Save to your desktop. When on desktop it looks like a Black Garbage can, Close all open/running programs, Double click to run it, Click Start, and at the end it will ask to reboot, Click Yes.
5. TEMP – have no idea what created this and prefer it also deleted.<<-- Usually contains Temp files only. It is the place where your Temp files etc reside. Leave it.

Again as I said, I have not been following this thread fully, but this is how it seems to me at this time.
Please stop me, tell me, if I have contradicted anything offered already or you have been asked to do something else - -

Regards -

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
billg678

How are you progressing please.
Please do update your thread when you get chance.
If further help is needed, you only have to ask.

billg678

billg678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I hope you don't run out of patience on me... Sorry to be late in getting back but two long distance trips out of town have interferred with any concentrated time on my part.

Let me try to resum and perhaps refresh my problem(?):
  • First, re-read (no disrespect intended here) only the two lead paragraphs (i.e. first sentence and second paragraph) of my very first post;
  • Then re-read my Nov 4th reply outlining the three diff screen "views" (i.e., A, B, C) which identify various User Profiles listed in "A"; various "User Accounts" listed in "B" and various "folder names" listed in "C".
I think my basic question(s) might be twofold:

1. What action on the Administrator's (mine) part is needed to identify the particular profile that causes a Start Screen to appear for any given user's icon listed on the Welcome Screen?
2. How can I now make my computer re-establish a previous user profile (whose files/folders are apparently still in Documents and Settings) to bring up its (old) Start Screen once its icon is clicked on the Welcome Screen?

I know how to delete a user, but I cannot figure out how to get the previous Daily User's Start Screen to come back up under the Daily User (Windows Yellow Duck) Welcome Screeen. If I'm to copy/paste - what folders/files are needed and where do I paste into?

If you feel like I'm having you go in circles, just say so, and I'm going to give it up - again no disrespect intended, simply my inability to comprehend the tech. required.
And as usual, Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
We certainly wil NOT give up, until we reach the point where, we have to say we cannot solve the problem
This thankfully does not happen very often and usually with problems where it actually requires a hands-on approach.

I am not certain, although you have done your best to explain the situation, what your problem NOW is.

If you have ALL you need for the Daily User profile in the account that now opens in YOUR wifes name, you simply rename that account as previously discussed.

OR you simply delete the account in your wifes name having copied, whilst NOT signed in on THAT account, but on the admin account, to the Daily user account.

Unless I have still misunderstood this is the siutation is it NOT

Well unless I have misunderstood you, or you me, I thought that the Daily User was NOT your wife`s account and that your wife had her account, albeit it was not on the welcome screen,as presumably it was not enabled.

The purpose of the Task Manager is to see which account is really logged on with the user name at the welcome screen, and as you report it is your wife`s account - Judy.

That is why your wife`s desktop is being loaded when you now log on with the Daily User account.

from my previous post.

So to answer this
2. How can I now make my computer re-establish a previous user profile (whose files/folders are apparently still in Documents and Settings) to bring up its (old) Start Screen once its icon is clicked on the Welcome Screen?

So in documents and settings
1. All users - that is exactly what it says, whatever is in there will be avilable and loaded on all user accounts on the computer.
2. New Daily User - this I think is now what is loaded when you created the new profile by mistake.
3.William - as you know
4.TEMP in documents and settings is NOT a user profile it is the Temporary folder that files are created in when programs are downloaded changed etc.
That is why my colleague nokojon sent you the program TFC cleaner.
5. Judy - as you have previosuly established from what I sent you Judy is loaded is it not on Daily User.

I THINK and I apologise to you if I am wrong that it is YOU that has misunderstood, that if you delete the account for instance JUDY in Control Panel User Accounts
that simply deleting the name so that it no longer appears on the welcome scren for you to sign in, does NOT delete the account

So in short, run the TFC that my colleague suggested.
Check what you have in which account, you wish to keep, move what you wish from the other account you do not wish to keep, to that account, ensuring of course that you are NOT signed in to the account you are copying from or to, but in the admin account. Then wehn you are content, delete the account profile in documents and settings that you no longer need.

Establish a restore point before you start.

To save me a lot of typing please use this procedure but of course adapt it as necessary for what you wish to do
Create a new user account for yourself:

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=811151

Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Professional

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator
credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
6. On the Action menu, click New User.
7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.

Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Home Edition

1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator
credentials.
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. Click User Accounts.
4. Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.
5. Type a name for the user information, and then click Next.
6. Click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Copy Files to the New User Profile

1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying
files to or from.
2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the
View tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide
protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C
is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the
name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and
subfolder in this folder, except the following files:
* Ntuser.dat
* Ntuser.dat.log
* Ntuser.ini
5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C
is the drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the
name of the user
profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Then you can delete the incorrect user accounts.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 November 2011 - 04:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
billg678

Any progress on this issue.
Please do let us know how it is going.
Thank you

billg678

billg678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Macboatmaster and Noknojon,
Back again, this time with your instructions the issue has been resolved. One thing that stumped me for awhile was that after creating the "New User", apparently I needed to log off and come back up and log on under that name. (I guess) until that action had been accomplished there were no folders created (user profile?) in the Systems Folder, nor on the C drive's Documents and Settings even though the "New User's" name did display both on the Welcome Screen and under "User Accounts" from the Control Panel.

Consequently, after copying the Old_Username folder as you instructed, I was unable to find (it wasn't there) the New_Username created in order to paste the specific folders of the Old_Username.

And the TFC did quite well.

Much thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am pleased it worked for you and thank you for posting the result.

My further advice is that if you have data that is valuable to you, on that computer, you buy if finances will allow an external drive and create a complete image.
I do not know what caused the problem in the first place, but you may not be so fortunate the next time round.

Good luck with it.