Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My screen is black for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply

Kakariki

Kakariki

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I installed Windows XP recently, and it was working fine until this morning when my screen went black for no apparent reason.

I turned the monitor off and then on again, this resulted in the screen displaying what it should for about three seconds before going black again. I got the same result when unplugging the monitor for a few seconds, and when I tried taking out the cable going to the graphics card and then putting it back in.

Turning the computer off and then on again resulted in the screen going black before the start menu came up.

I wanted to see it the screen would work if I started the computer in safe mode. I used my mum's laptop to try and find out how to do that. It said to press f8 when the computer was starting up, this gave no result. I tried pressing f12 to see if the boot menu had any options I could try. The screen went black before the boot menu appeared, although by turning thee monitor off then on I was able to see that the boot menu did come up.

I have a 32 bit windows xp os on an Acer Aspire desktop. Last night I installed internet explorer 8 and google chrome.

I am at a loss as for what to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kakariki

Edited by Kakariki, 20 October 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Kakariki.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Sounds like a monitor issue and not a system issue. Do you have another monitor you can try to see if it works then?

Kakariki

Kakariki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Appreciate your help :)

The computer is a desktop Acer Aspire M3200

I don't know what the total memory installed is or what the total hard drive capacity and free space is. Can you please tell me where I would be able to find this information.

I turned the monitor off and then on again, this resulted in the screen displaying what it should for about three seconds before going black again. I got the same result when unplugging the monitor for a few seconds, and when I tried taking out the cable going to the graphics card and then putting it back in.

Turning the computer off and then on again resulted in the screen going black before the start menu came up.

I haven't really tried anything else as I have next to no computer knowledge and therefore no idea what to try.

I do have this query posted on one other site, but so have haven't had any replies beyond asking about my computer, whether I could try another monitor, and if it is possible to start the computer in safe mode.

I don't have another monitor to try unfortunately.

When I pushed f8 during startup to try and start in safe mode, I got a blue screen with lots of writing on it which I can only see for a few seconds at a time by turning the monitor off and on. I've never tried to start the computer in safe mode before so I'm not sure if the blue screen is part of that.

Once again, I really appreciate the time and energy you are using to help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue really looks like your monitor is going out and without hooking your existing monitor to another computer or if you have a laptop you can connect it to that as a external monitor and see if it does it then.
If so then it is the monitor.
Without being able to see what you are doing then there is no way to get any other information.

Kakariki

Kakariki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a laptop that is available, but I'm not sure how I would go about hooking that up.

Although the screen is black, if I turn the monitor off and then on again, I have around 2 or 3 seconds of the monitor working before it goes black again. So I am able to do navigate the computer, just very very slowly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The screen going black indicates a power issue with the monitor. When it goes black does the little light stay green or does it go to a amber color or no power at all.

Kakariki

Kakariki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It stays blue, which I figure is its version of green.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the monitor is getting power which would indicate a actual signal failure. The next step would be a different monitor to verify the findings.