Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Header Pool - XP

• Please log in to reply

rubywahoo

rubywahoo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello!

I have been working with someone in the malware forum for the past few days to rid my computer of some malware.

I have copied and pasted my last post (as well as his reply) in hopes that you can help me solve the new problem. Also, below is the link if you want to read all of the things we did to my computer during this process. Thank You!!!

http://www.geekstogo...=0

"I am having some more problems now. I can only start my comp in safe mode (I am on my roommate's computer right now).

When I restarted my computer I got a completely blue screen with a message, but it said "If this is the first time you see this screen, restart. If problem persists, blah blah blah." I restarted and there were no problems.

This morning when I started the comp, it gave me that blue screen message again, and every time I restart it again gives me the message. It says the error is 'bad_pool_head." It also says that software or hardware I recently installed may not be installed properly."

HIS REPLY:

"Hello again Brandon

BAD_POOL_HEADER error is a driver issue. Something is not terminating properly, but it may be difficult to resolve. Unless you get another message giving you a clue, it may take some trial and error in updating various hardware drivers. It explains the mini-dump http://www.hardwarea...nt/topic/15697/

Have you recently added hardware? or updated a driver? changed any periphery? It could be hardware breaking down.

Can I suggest that you try the Win XP forum. I'm sure there are people there with more expertise than myself on these issues.

BTW, I can't see that anything we have done during the fixes would have anything to do with it; we don't mess with drivers.

Good luck!"

Thank you!!!

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
What do you want us to do?

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
He probably wants us to know he has a friend in that forum....

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Lol, I don't have to know all of ur friends rubywahoo...

rubywahoo

rubywahoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just wanted to let you know of the things I've done on my computer in the last couple of days, in case that influences this problem.

I have hit F8 after starting my computer, and chose "Last Known Good Configuration." Now when I restart, it doesn't show that blue screen; it shows my desktop background but with no icons or task bar.

Can you possibly help me get my computer working normally again?

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
I think we can only hint you. I gave this tip to others too, get an un-infected Explorer.exe from a friend who you are sure is clean of any spyware of worms. Replace the one you have in your windows/system32 (CAUTION: DELETE THE ONE WITH A MONITOR ON IT, NOT THE ONE WITH A FOLDER!!!!!!!!). This might help you.

I am not legally bonded to be certain with this and if this whipes your pc, I cannot be held responsible, it is YOUR action.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what can you tell us about your hardware --make model, etc?

Can you still get into safe mode?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link to another person who lost his icons and taskbar:

http://forums.winfor...read.php?t=2801

rubywahoo

rubywahoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can get into safe mode (I am in it now).

It is a Gateway, Microsoft XP, Service Pack 2.

Not sure where to find the model information.

Is there anything we can do before resorting to a step that may potentially wipe out the pc?