Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu is Bantu for "you can't get rid of it"

• Please log in to reply

chipbryan

chipbryan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello.

I started this process yesterday. Following is a copy of my first post and its response. My immediate concern is that I can't find the partitions using Windows explorer. Can I get some additional direction with this. All I want is out of Ubuntu but it's looking as If buying a new machine might be the better way to go. Thanks.

Hello.

I called myself wanting to investigate the Ubuntu OS. I downloaded it to my computer [Compaq Presario C770 running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2]. Ubuntu does not show in the queue for "Uninstall or Change a program" in the Control Panel. It does not show on my Seagate side drive. I can't find it anywhere nor can I find an explanation for uninstalling this contemptible piece of OS. The only way I've found to get to Vista is to restart the computer and work from the Ubuntu start-up screen and then it takes for-freakin-ever for Vista to boot up. I want out. Can you help me get this beast off my computer?
MultiQuote
Quote Reply
Add Reply
Edit
#2 zep516

GeekU Junior

Group:GeekU Junior
Posted Today, 10:01 AM
Hello, and welcome to Geeks to go !

What it sounds like is that you installed Ubuntu to a partition on the hard drive, you need to delete the partition that Ubuntu lives on. You also created a dual boot system where you have choices now to boot to Ubuntu or Vista. When you install Ubuntu it also installs the Grub boot loader. You will need to follow these instructions or at least read them and become familiar with what exactly is taking place here. If you delete the Ubuntu partition you will lose the ability to boot to vista so please read the link below. We do have a Linux forum HERE where you could get better instructions then I may be able to provide or if the link is confusing to you.

How To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Windows Dual-Boot PC.
http://www.makeuseof...ot-environment/

Advertisements

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
ubuntu is not a program that you can install and uninstall from windows, it is a complete replacement operating system, with its own programs and software,

you will not find it in windows add/remove programs, neither will you be able to read the linux partitions without certain software,

windows uses fat32 and ntfs for their file systems, ubuntu linux uses ext2, ext3 and ext4 for its file systems,
windows cannot read ext2, ext3 and ext4

first thing is, if you have installed linux then do not delete or format any unknown partitions you may find, you will render your pc unbootable
you need to remove grub (the linux bootloader) and replace it with the windows bootloader,

you will need your vista disk to boot from,

instructions are here from microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

once you can boot into windows then you can delete or format any unknown partitions

Edited by calvert, 23 October 2011 - 05:08 AM.

chipbryan

chipbryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Calvert,

Given my level of experience with Windows, it's probably highly risky that I attempt to remove Ubuntu from my computer. I certainly don't want to get into boot issues.

Thanks for your reply.

Chip

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Using the instructions in the link provided by calvert and this

Case #2 : Uninstalling Ubuntu from Dual Boot (with Windows 7/Vista )

If you delete or format the ubuntu partition then the windows boot-loader will no longer be available because when you installed Ubuntu it has replaced it with GRUB. So you won't be able to boot into your Windows OS after deleting or formatting the Ubuntu partition.

step 1 : Insert the Windows 7/vista/xp DVD and restart your computer.

step 2 : Go to Recovery options on the installation disc and select command prompt.

See this

http://windows.micro...n-Windows-Vista

and execute the following command(s) :

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

to overwrite the MBR (Master Boot Record).

step 3 : Now, remove the installation disc, restart the computer check that you are now in Vista and all is OK, then go disk management and format ubuntu partition (ext3/4 file system) to a windows file system such as NTFS or FAT.

CAUTION

You are strongly advised to back up all your data first as if this goes wrong and you cannot get back to a bootable system you may have to format and reinstall Vista. It may be best to create a complete image of the drive first using software appropriate to your drive. Seagate which I see your drive is - provides that program free

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

I think this may assist - the layout is perhaps easier to follow

How to restore the Windows Vista or 7 bootloader

To restore the Windows Vista/7 bootloader, you must first boot off your Windows Vista/7 installation DVD.
If you have one of the many OEM computers that didnt come with a Vista/7 installation disk, you can get the same effect with a Vista recovery disk.
When you get to the Regional settings, select your Location/Keyboard setting then click next. On the next page you must click on "Repair your computer."

On the next page, if it finds your Windows Vista/7 installation, make sure it is UNSELECTED before clicking next.
Then click on "Command prompt". From there, type in the folowing:

Code: bootrec.exe /fixboot Code: bootrec.exe /fixmbr Now close the two windows and click "Restart."

Take out your Vista/7 DVD and hopefully, you will be left with your Windows Vista/7 Bootloader.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 October 2011 - 12:51 PM.

chipbryan

chipbryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Macboatmaster: I did a system recovery and the computer now boots quite well to Vista. My problem now is getting the recovery wizard to bring my backed up files back to the computer. Any ideas on that? Chip Bryan

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you mean that you have used the recovery partition to return the computer to its original state and then installed all updates and Service Pack 2. - presuming that it was not supplied with that. Rather than following the procedure I outlined, of running the commands to restore the Vista boot configuration and then using disk management to format the Ubuntu partition.

I think that you have done the first of these.

If so the next question is what have you used for backup.
You will NOT be able to restore some items, installed since the dual boot was setup.

chipbryan

chipbryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes, used the recovery option on the system's hard drive and all appears well. I am working through recovering specific softwares...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Check that you have an anti-virus installed.
You have recovered to original condition.
Your anti-virus etc will most likely be the original limited offer.
You are strongly advised to CHECK and install your usual protection.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am offline from tonight until 5Nov

If you require help someone else will very likely assist.

Please do post in due course and let us know how you went on.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
chipbryan

Have you made progress on this issue please.
Would you kindly update your thread with a reply.
Thank you

chipbryan

chipbryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can get back to Vista and this is a good thing. I am slowly adding things back to my computer as the recovery feature has not been cooperative but this is not an issue. As for getting Ubuntu off my Seagate, F'it, it's more work than I intend to do. I can, however, assure you I will never try something such as this ever again. Thanks for you input.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well good luck with it.

Ubuntu is quite good you know, I have it on here as a dual boot with Vista and on another computer as the sole O/S

However it is very much a personal choice.

ubujosh

ubujosh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i think my son already delted the ubuntu partition on his machine. it was a vista machine, that his friend added ubuntu to. now i can't get it to do anything adn i want ubuntu totally off and gone, so we can start over and use his original vista recovery disks x3 to restore vista and go back to vista defaults. we have no disks for actual vista os or ubuntu. anyone have any ideas?
frustrated dad