Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore window "PC Performance & Stability analysis rep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
yes, so i'll just use another machine and use that disc on this one, correct?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep - spot on :thumbsup:

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
This other machine doesn't have a Roxio creator. The other machine that has a problem uses Roxio to open up Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso.

I'll find a free Roxio to download.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You should be able to use imgburn - just download and then install that
It will create abootable cd for you

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
The bootable CD is now created.
But for some reason, it's not being read by this machine.

I tried the other laptop if it can read the content of the bootable cd, and it can.
It has these folders:
- boot
- sources
and this file:
- bootmgr

I tried to open a regular DVD using this machine, to make sure that it can read a disk, and it did open the DVD and it's content.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you set your computer to boot from CD ?

Details here http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
ops, sorry, didn't know that I have to set it up to boot from CD. I thought once the bootable CD is in the drive, it will auto start using the CD.

Anyways, I tried hitting DELETE key during restart, and it goes to Windows Boot Manager screen:
Restart_Del_WindowsBootManager.jpg
With Microsoft Windows Vista highlighted, I hit F8, it goes to the Advanced Boot Options screen:
Restart_AdvancedBootOptions.jpg
No options to select boot drive.

I tried to restart again, and on Windows Boot Manager screen, I tried to hit [Enter] while Microsoft Windows Vista is highlighted, and of course, it also goes to the Advanced Boot Options screen.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As soon as you start the computer and when the manufacturers log flashes up - there should be an option displayed on the bottom of the screen to enter either BIOS or system setup
The key is usually delete or F2

Do you see that as soon as the system boots ?

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
There's no instruction or information on BIOS or system setup on the screen when the system boots.
After the manufacturer logo (it's just a manufacturer logo, nothing else) has shown up, the screen goes black, with just a blinking curser on the top left of the blank black screen.
Then Windows Vista Home Premium shows on the screen.

I also tried to press F2 during boot, but it didn't worked. The system still boot normally.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Did you try delete as soon as the logo appears ?

Advertisements

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Thanks! I got the Setup Utility when I hit F2 as soon as the logo displayed on screen.
I tried to change some settings, which I think is the one that should be changed, and reboot my machine on every change.
But still, it won't boot from the DVD.

Here are the screens that I have:
This is the Advanced tab screen:
BIOS_AdvancedMenu.jpg
- I tried changing External Drive Boot to [Enabled]

And this is the Boot tab screen:
BIOS_BootMenu.jpg
- I tried different Boot priority order
- I also tried excluding Internal Hard Disk Drive, and Network from boot order. But I got error saying "Operating System not found" on reboot.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please download GetPartitions from the link bellow. You must right click on the link and choose Save as.... Save it as GetPartitions.bat on your desktop

getpartitions.bat

Double click it to run it.
It will produce DiskReport.txt log please post results from that log here to me.

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I saved GetPartitions.bat on the desktop, double-clicked to run. It produced a DiskReport.txt on the desktop.
But the DiskReport.txt log is empty when I opened it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do the following:
  • Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
  • Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
  • In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
  • In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
  • When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.
Take a screen Shot of the Disk Management Window and attach the screen shot to your next reply

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Here's the disk management screenshot:
DiskManagement.gif