Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore window "PC Performance & Stability analysis rep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Windows System Restore didn't work.

So I did the Restore C: Drive option.
Took more than 30 minutes, but less than an hour.

Advertisements

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Looks like everything's working fine. I've started doing updates for Windows Vista since it's considered as newly installed, so there's numerous updates. I haven't tried updating to SP2 yet. It might take a while to do that.

I haven't encountered any errors yet so far. Hopefully things will run smoothly now.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Well that was one weird malfunction there - Once you have completed let me know how it is running

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I'm still in the process of updating windows. Right now, it's installing 70 windows udpates. I guess it will take a few more round of updates before I can reach the one for SP2. Will keep you posted.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For sure :thumbsup:

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I've already upgraded to SP2, installed Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Webroot, and the rest of the softwares I was using before. I didn't encounter any errors or anything unusual during installations.

Ive tried using the softwares, and they're working as expected. So far so good. :-)

Thanks for the help and for your patience. Greatly appreciate it a lot :-)

What's your suggestion to avoid this thing happening again in future?
Any settings that I need to change for stricter securities?

Edited by maezhou, 01 December 2011 - 04:46 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
First thing to do is get an Antivirus and a complimentarty anti malware programme

Do you have these allready or would you like some suggestions

Ensure that you have IE9 for your browser, if you go for Firefox then there are several addons that you will need to protect yourself

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I now have Webroot SecureAnywhere for protection, I only have the basic Webroot before. Is there anything much better you think?

Edited by maezhou, 01 December 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Are you running the trial version or have you purchased it ?

As a backup for malware I would recommend Malwarebytes for on demand scanning

Are you using IE as your main browser or are you using another one like Firefox ?

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I bought the Webroot SecureAnywhere.
I'll try to get Malwarebytes.
And I use Firefox as my default browser. I'm looking into using Chrome instead, review information says Chrome is much safer to use.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would recommend the following for Firefox to enhance the security :

Noscript
Adblock
Linkchecker

Is all OK now ?

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Yes, everything's working fine now. I'll add those Firefox Add-ons you've listed.
Thank you so much for your patience and help. Really greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:
I think this is one of your longest thread. :blush:

Cheers!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nope I did have a longer one when I was training :lol:

Glad all is OK now

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I think i'm missing some drivers. My wireless connection is not working. The switch is already ON, but I can't automatically connect to the network. It's saying "Windows cannot find any networks". It was working since yesterday. I tried to uninstall Norton (which I think is bundled with Windows Vista), but it didn't do the trick.

Edited by maezhou, 06 December 2011 - 11:13 AM.

maezhou

maezhou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I'm trying to search for possible solutions to the wireless problem, when my other laptop got infected by the Vista Antispyware 2012 virus. :upset:

How do I remove the Vista Antispyware 2012 error that I'm now getting? It's causing problems on the Firewall settings (cannot click On/Off) and Malware Protection (cannot click On/Off) and the Webroot scannng as well.

Update on my above query:
I searched and encountered this video, which is the same as what's happening to my machine. So I just followed the video showing how to remove the virus:

I was able to remove the Vista Antispyware 2012 virus.
But then I removed "enj.exe" during the process.
Is there a way to get it back or place it back into the system?

What happens now is that I can't open .exe files automatically.
Like if I want to open Firefox by clicking the shortcut, I have to browse and select the program to open it and choose Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe

Not sure if it was the result of deleting the enj.exe

And also if I go to Start/Control Panel/Security and click on Security Center, I'm getting the popup that says:
C:\Windows\system32\rundll.exe
Application not found.
I also get this if I click on Internet Options (also on Start/Control Panel/Security). As well as (also on Start/Control Panel) Hardware and Sound/Sound, Hardware and Sound/Mouse, Hardware and Sound/Keyboard, Hardware and Sound/Phone and Modem Options, Hardware and Sound/Game Controllers

If I go to Control Panel/Security/Windows Firewall and click on "Update Settings Now" (firewall is not turned on so I have to update setting), I get this popup:
C:\Windows\system32\FirewallSettings.exe
Application not found.

If I go to Control Panel/Security and click on "Windows Defender", I get this popup:
Application failed to initialize: 0x80070006. The handle is invalid.

Do I need to open another forum topic for this virus? Or can I just leave it in this topic?