Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grounding issue

• Please log in to reply

chucksg

chucksg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a HP Pavilion P6616F Desktop. I have had nothing but trouble from the day we got it.
This is what has happened after hours of trouble shooting by the HP tech reps.

When I start up the computer, the HP welcome comes on then goes off like it should but then just comes right back. This process repeated itself over and over again and never gets to the windows welcome screen. One of the solutions was a static discharge. I ended up do Everything from doing the static discharge, resetting BIOS to a full system restore and everything in between under the direction of the HP Rep. We ended up sending the computer back the first time in August for a motherboard and the second time in September for a new CPU.

The computer now comes on and boots up, but if I put my arm next to it, the hair on my arm stands up, like static in the unit (one of the same problems I had before).
We now have a dedicated power line for this computer and a good surge protector, but we still have the same problem. It's acting like a grounding issue.

Can I put a ground wire on the case and attach it to a ground to remove the static? I don't want to accidentally send power back into the unit.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi chucksg, sorry to hear that you are having such bad luck with this.
First thing I must ask, is the PC still covered by a warranty because if it is you should return it to prevent voiding the warranty by accident.

The computer now comes on and boots up, but if I put my arm next to it, the hair on my arm stands up, like static in the unit (one of the same problems I had before).

We now have a dedicated power line for this computer and a good surge protector, but we still have the same problem. It's acting like a grounding issue.

Can I put a ground wire on the case and attach it to a ground to remove the static? I don't want to accidentally send power back into the unit.

All of the above point to a power issue and you should not have to deal with this IF the computer is covered by warranty and if the PC is faulty, what you describe is also a health and safety concern, does the issue occur if you use a different wall socket?
For future reference consider purchasing a UPS http://www.newegg.co...N82E16842101381

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it happen last time we sent back to HP. Before we got it back this time we put in a dedicated power circuit just for that computer but it didn't help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I suggest that you contact HP again and tell them that you have concerns about possible electrocution or the PC starting a fire, they would be reckless not to at least examine the computer and in particular the PSU and associated wiring.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi,

they would be reckless not to at least examine the computer and in particular the PSU and associated wiring.

First of all I agree with phillpower!

That circuit should already exist via the power supply plug (computer plug) and the wall outlet.

As you probably already know a ground is used for two purposes: part of a protection system for wiring or circuit faults that mistakenly send real power to the computer's chassis that is accessible to people; and removing static charges and electrical signal noise while they are at low levels, before they build up to troublesome.

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks
I'm going to call HP tomorrow and get this taken care of.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good luck and please let us know how you get on or if you require anything further.