Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Earth V6 will not intialize

• Please log in to reply

LegginMF1

LegginMF1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have installed, uninstalled, ran multiple spyware, adware, malware programs. I have defragged, cleaned up and deleted the left over HKEY's. No matter what I do I can not get GE to work. I had v4 and upgraded to v6. It downloads and installs. But if you click the icon or try to start from the start menu you get the little hourglass for about 4 seconds and that is it. I need GE as I use it very frequently to map hunting trips. help I have been at this for 3 days now. Just as test I downloaded and installed it on my laptop which is Vista and had zero problems, works like a charm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi -
Have you done a quick check on any Video card updates (try makers site first) and other drivers that you may need ?

I recently wiped and reinstalled my XP SP3 Pro and it took 3 attempts to download Earth, but the last one did work.
If you have Google as a Home Page, this can also be done by viewing their Add Ons and installing from there.

Regards -

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I have defragged, cleaned up and deleted the left over HKEY's

With what program please have you deleted registry keys.

Was v4 working?

Will your computer run v6
  • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
  • CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+
  • System Memory (RAM): 512MB
  • Hard Disk: 2GB free space
  • Network Speed: 768 Kbits/sec
  • Graphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 256MB of VRAM
  • Screen: 1280x1024, "32-bit True Color"
You can I may assure you ignore completely the 512Mb of ram, XP to run satisfactorily with what may be termed minimum other software needs 1Gb.
However the minimum processor speed and the graphics requirements are relevant.

LegginMF1

LegginMF1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I have defragged, cleaned up and deleted the left over HKEY's

With what program please have you deleted registry keys.

Was v4 working?

Will your computer run v6
  • Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
  • CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+
  • System Memory (RAM): 512MB
  • Hard Disk: 2GB free space
  • Network Speed: 768 Kbits/sec
  • Graphics Card: DirectX9 and 3D capable with 256MB of VRAM
  • Screen: 1280x1024, "32-bit True Color"
You can I may assure you ignore completely the 512Mb of ram, XP to run satisfactorily with what may be termed minimum other software needs 1Gb.
However the minimum processor speed and the graphics requirements are relevant.

v4 was working just fine,I justed wanted to upgrade. Now v4 will not run either. I need to check the specs of the other stuff and will get back to you as soon as possible. I used CCleaner. I got an email RE: this problem to use windows utility cleaner with a link in it and I needed to purchase it first. I didn't use it as it was not a reply from someone in this thread. I will post on Thursday. I am working freakin major hours this week!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the email it maybe from some person viewing this site. Unless you have posted elsewhere and also made an email contact available
If it is from someone using this site they must be a member as your profile on which you make email contact available is only visible to members.
You were wise to ignore it. If it is from someone using this site, it is not an accepted way of proceeding.
YOUR actual email address is NOT visible.
However if someone has used the facility on this site then THEIR email address will be in the message..

Would you please PM me that is send Personal message with that address.
That is click on my User name and select send me a message.

I am reasonable certain these are the circumstances of the message.
I will post again shortly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. There is no need to quote my post in your reply, unless you wsh to particularly highlight something

2. Please do send me the details requested in my post 5.

3. May I suggest that you start here
http://earth.google....n&answer=117455
you will note that there are a number of links from that page.

as a brief examination of the circumstances suggest that the easiest to save us both time and me a lot of typing is that you work your way through the troubleshooter provided by Google.
I would however ALSO bear in mind the post by Noknojon as it may very well be a graphics or add-on matter.
These are both dealt with in depth on the Google Earth troubleshooter.

If you require any help with any of the suggested solutions on the troubleshooter please do not hesitate to post.

I would start by uninstalling Google Earth.

Then I would run this
Run this
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop - just click on that underlined link.
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Then I would clear all browsing history and if you are using Firefox I would clear the Cache, as well as all Cookies, that is Tools, clear recent history, check all boxes, except site preferences and active log-ons.
Be aware, this may delete any saved passwords for websites and your email, make sure you know them

Then if you are using IE I would do the same, that is the Safety Delete Browsing history, uncheck the top box and check the top three boxes underneath the line.

Then I would ONLY while on the Google site disable your anti-virus and firewall and download the Google Eart v6 from the Direct link. - on the troubleshotter.

LegginMF1

LegginMF1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Regarding the email. It was from Google Earth help, which was really no help.
Computer: Compaq Presario SR1500NX
448MB RAM
2.00GHz
Network speed: 878bps
Free Space 46.7GB
AMD Sempron 3000

Under Run> dxdia> Display I get:

Device
Name: VIA/S3G unichrome IGP
Manufacturer: Via S3G
DAC type: internal
Approx total memory: 64.0MB
Current display mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: plug and play device

Drivers
Main Driver: vtdisp.dll
WHQL Logo'd: yes
Mini VDD: vtmini.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 9 (or higher).

I have followed all of the steps on GE help and did the Old timer clean up utility. I am thinking I do not have enough RAM to support GE v6. I think I need to continue to use an older version of GE.

LegginMF1

LegginMF1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have got the Google Earth v4.2 up and running now. Am I correct in thinking my computer does not have the capability to run v6?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can assure you that you are right.
YOU most certainly do NOT have enough ram.
You have 512 - 64Mb is taken by your graphics leaving the 448.
Quite apart from Google Earth, you would notice a tremendous improvement in increasing the ram.

Go here, you do not have to buy from here.
The memory scan will confirm what you have and what you may put in.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
That as you can see is a UK link but you can choose the site according to your location.

Be aware of buying ram on the internet, generally buy only from a known trusted source.
There are some cheap deals around, but there is also some cheap (unreliable) ram

LegginMF1

LegginMF1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I will not be adding RAM. I am looking into getting a new computer right now. The Desktop is more than 7 yrs old and is having some problems. The fan runs almost constantly and it hang up a lot. I am usually pretty good at figuring out what is wrong with it, but honestly I think it is just age now. Thank you so much for your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

the Desktop is more than 7 yrs old and is having some problems.

Well that is probably the right decision then - ie: not to add more ram.
I had no way of knowing of course that you already had problems besides Google Earth v6.

The fan runs almost constantly and it hang up a lot

I would open the case and ensure that the fans, cooling fins of the CPU etc are clean.

Good Luck