Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Damaged System Files - Virus Related - Need HELP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kevinizer

Kevinizer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know what in the world it is that i have downloaded but here are the following effects after it happened (i run windows 7):

- the time it takes for my computer to turn on ranges in between 5 minutes and 30 minutes across the whole process. That means 5 minutes to get out of the "Welcome" login screen, 15 minutes for all primary programs to execute after the login.
- at first after much raging i was manually turning off my computer while it was attempting to login. After re-turning it on, it eventually brought me to a page where windows claimed it had noticed that windows wasn't launching itself and it proposed me to run a system file scan/ repair... and it failed. The system file scan hadn't progressed and stopped itself after 10 minutes and called out the error.
- at the moment i'm unable to run any files that require me to say that "it is ok for the following program to make changes to my computer" because when i click "YES" the computer freezes for 5 minutes after which the program hasn't been executed. AKA i can't get administrator rights to be applied.
- every program i execute freezes my computer for 5 minutes. When i say freeze i mean i can still move around with my mouse pointer and sometimes manage to get my clicks applied... but there is no response until the 5 minutes delay is finished. That 5 minute delay also stacks if i execute many programs at the same time.
- when i press ctrl+alt+del the computer freezes for 5 minutes, my screen becomes pitch black for a minute and then an error is stated saying if i can't leave this page i must press "ESC" or turn off my computer manually... instead i just click on a cancel/exit box.

Here is or are the fix or fixes that i have attempted but in vain:
- launching an elevated command prompt by: right-click -> properties -> blabla...
- launching an elevated command prompt by: right-click -> run as administrator
- launching an elevated command prompt by: typing "cmd" on the search -> pressing ctrl+alt+del
but all attempts result in a freeze, error, progress=0

I'm unable to fix my system files that i believe have been damaged... :) i need help

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
:)

Lets try to scan the computer. You will need a USB (Flash) pendrive.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Kevinizer

Kevinizer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello sir !
Forgive me for the late reply. Yesterday I have attempted to make a scan as guided to by you, but another problem has occured ! (where is the luck ?!) I can press F8, click on "repair your computer", then the two things happen. First windows is "loading files" and then I get an error "status: 0xc00000e9" saying I unplugged my usb (which I have not!) or that the hard drive or cd-rom drive is failing.

Now, even if I choose to start windows normally I will not see the windows logo appearing, then will be taken to the "windows loading files" sequence and will see the stated error once again. O_O

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Would it be possible to obtain a bootable Install or Recovery CD? IF not lets try this:

We will need to view the system status from an external environment. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn. There will be several steps to follow.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert them in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

volsnap.sys

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • Type the following:

explorer.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • While still in the Open Terminal, type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as RegReport.txt
  • Then type dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

Leave a space among the following Statements:

dd is the executable application used to create the backup
    if=/dev/sda is the device the backup is created from - the hard drive when only one HDD exists
    of=mbr.bin is the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
    bs=512 is the number of bytes in the backup
    count=1 says to backup just 1 sector

It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as mbr.bin
  • Plug the USB back into the clean computer, zip the mbr.bin, and except for the mbr.bin zipped file, post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. The mbr.bin zipped file must be attached to your reply.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!