Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kyle Lindstrom

Kyle Lindstrom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

Im in a major bind here with my desktop, its a Dell Dimension E520. Some how through sufing the net, mostly social networks and media streaming sites, I think my computer has become infected with a virus of some sort. Now when you boot the computer you hear a loud and very vast repeating beep. The computer will boot as normal. I use windows vista and I think its got service pack 2. When you go to open a program the computer tries to open anywhere from 30-117 times what you click. I can not open anything. I have read and have the OTL however I cant get to the screen to open the flash drive to try and fix it. The more i try to restart and run the scans I can the worse the malfunctions seem to get. Please help, I dont know much about computers. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello Kyle Lindstrom and welcome to G2G! :)

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within 3 days or your topic will be closed

Step 1

Now when you boot the computer you hear a loud and very vast repeating beep.

Does this beeps runs before you see windows screen, while you still see black screen?

If it does then please try to count them. There can be short and long beeps. Pay attention and write here what do you hear to me.

Step 2

Try to run OTL in safe mode.

Please restart in safe mode:
  • If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
Now try to run OTL:
  • Run OTL.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the "Scan All User" checkbox
  • Change "Extra Registry" option to "SafeList"
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows OTL.txt and Extra.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of this files, and post it with your next reply.
Step 3

Please don't forget to include these items in your reply:

• OTL log
  • OTL Extras log
It would be helpful if you could post each log in separate post

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.