Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tempest Evo Case Fans

• Please log in to reply

spid4567

spid4567

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have a Tempest Evo case. There are two case fans in the top of the case. One of them is rattling upon startup. It stops after a few minutes, but I would like to swap it out before it gets worse. I can't figure out how to get to those fans. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Nice case, lousy manual, huh? All the manual says is there are holes drilled at the top panel to secure a dual 120mm radiator. "Radiator"? Oh well.

I found where other users wanting to replace the fans had the same problem. There appears to be 6 (maybe 8) screws that secure that top fan mount, err, I mean "radiator" to the case. Unfortunately, it appears to gain access to all the screws, you will need to pull the motherboard.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I was afraid of that. I can see the six screws, but there looks like there could be two more above the Optical disks. The one screw in the back right corner is the one that can't be reached easily. Oh well, thanks for the quick reply!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Good luck. Note outside of the noise, there is no real harm. Eventually, the bearings will seize and the noise will stop, again with no real harm. However, your cooling capacity will go down. I would probably buy two new fans and replace them both at the same time and save the good one as a spare.