Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to upgrade my system.

• Please log in to reply

Cam5X5

Cam5X5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got my dell computer a few years back.
Specs.

OS
Window 64bit Premium

Processor
Phenom II 945 3Gz

Graphic
AMD HD 4600 756mb (Fried)

Memory
I had 8 sticks, and 8gb memory.
so 8x1gb Ram.

HardDrive
850gb 3/gbs

PSU
400 Watt.

I need to upgrade my system and I don't want to spend too much.
My graphic card is fried, I need more speed moving files.
I am a gamer, video editor and animator.
My budget is. Around 800$.
However I was thinking of doing just a graphic card for around 300$, also I'm aware I need to upgrade my PSU.
I would like more speed in video editing.
I also want to futureproof my computer.

Help?

-Edit
I was thinking maybe up my PSU to a 600watt, get myself a 6850 2gb.
However should I go for the 6970 2gb which is 100$ more?
Should I upgrade my processor?
What should I look for in specs for cpu and gpu?
I know I need to look for the same socket but what else?
Do I really need 2gb memory for a gpu? is 1gb memory good enough?

Edited by Cam5X5, 24 October 2011 - 01:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Cam5X5 and :)
For $800 you can upgrade the best part of all your system, I will break down your OP and offer some suggestions/guidance on each component, can you provide your present MB details please.

OS
Window 64bit Premium = The appropriate OS when you have 8GB or more of Ram, if you replace the present MB unless you have the full retail OS disk you will need to budget for a new OS as an OEM version is tied to the original MB and is not transferable, is it 64-bit Vista or 64-bit W7?

Processor
Phenom II 945 3Gz = Not a bad processor but also not the best, knowing your MB details will help us to advise further.

Graphic
AMD HD 4600 756mb (Fried) = Priority should be to establish why the card fried and whether any other components where affected.

Memory
I had 8 sticks, and 8gb memory. so 8x1gb Ram. = Again knowing the MB details will help us advise you better.

HardDrive
850gb 3/gbs = Good storage capacity but consider adding a SSD for the OS and some data, this will speed up your boot time and help you to secure important data by backing it up to a second HDD.

PSU
400 Watt. Decide upon all other new components before purchasing a new PSU, use a PSU calculator to ensure that you will have enough clean and stable power and that it has a minimum of an 80% efficiency rating; http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder/

-Edit
I was thinking maybe up my PSU to a 600watt, get myself a 6850 2gb.
However should I go for the 6970 2gb which is 100$ more?
Should I upgrade my processor?
What should I look for in specs for cpu and gpu?
I know I need to look for the same socket but what else?
Do I really need 2gb memory for a gpu? is 1gb memory good enough?

The PSU I have advised upon above, a 2GB video card is overkill unless you intend using a screen larger than 30" or multiple screens.
Again the processor has been addressed above regarding your MB details I can say though that a good video card will be complimented by a good CPU, Ram, PSU and system cooling etc.

Post your MB details with your next reply and we can provide you with a list of components for consideration.