Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

MoBo change or just simple remedies?

• Please log in to reply

Gerald Emalada

Gerald Emalada

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good day!

Last two months or so, my CPU stopped working. The computer stopped recognizing the HDD, so it was rendered useless for that duration of time. Now, we bought a new Hard Disk Drive (upgrading it in the process)so it can finally work again. So yeah, since it was new, I had a new OS ready for installation so I went to Setup Utility (Clicking delete while it is in the POST) and made the priority drive the CD-ROM and the like. Before I was able to save it though, it suddenly hung. After clicking the reset button, the LCD's green light did not appear again. I opened the CPU to do the routine stuff (making sure that the cables are correctly connected and the like) and tried it again to no avail. I removed the memory module from it's slot so I would hear the regular beep, but I didn't hear a thing. The onboard LED is still lighting and the fans are working as well.

What could be the problem? Should I buy a new motherboard already or just change something for the better?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Computer spec's would have helped. Most likely you forgot to ground yourself when working inside the computer so static electricity has killed something. The computer beep just means the BIOS(cmos)see's the hardware in the computer. NO beeps means the motherboard has lost the CMOS. See if you can reset the CMOS with a jumper on the motherboard or just pull the cmos battery that is on the motherboard for 30 seconds and reinstall the battery. Then see if the computer will boot at all. If no boot the motherboard is probably dead.

I have killed dozens of computers by just walking across a room with carpet and not grounding myself on the computer case before starting to remove hardware. I learned to always touch the bare metal of the case before doing anything else and some friends say i'm obsessive about it, but i haven't killed any computers in years now.