Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-virus//MBAM shut down: scans not running, fake firewall warnings(

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK those are in system restore and not a problem - a quick tidy up whilst I try to find a resolution to the desktop ini

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Posted Image Your Java is out of date.
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:
  • Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :yes:

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try this next

Click the Start button,
Click All Programs, and right-click the Startup submenu.
From the context menu that appears, select Explore.
This will bring up a Windows Explorer window showing the shortcuts that make up the menu items, as well as desktop.ini.
Right-click desktop.ini, choose Properties from the menu, check the Hidden box, and click OK.
Close the Windows Explorer window.
Now repeat the process, but upon right-clicking Startup choose Explore All Users instead. Fixed!
[attachment=53279:Untitled.jpg]

princessmimi

princessmimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Yay!! I'm so happy to hear that!! :) With all the setbacks and whatnot, I was beginning to fear that it'd just keep going on and on forever. I pasted the OTL prompts and cleaned it up, but I can't seem to get rid of ComboFix with Run. I've typed it in with a capital F, all lower-case, with .exe after it and there are no prompts and the icon doesn't disappear from my desktop. Am I perhaps doing something wrong? Everything else will be followed through with asap. Thanks again for the great news! :yes:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
In that case just run the OTL cleanup button and that should also remove combofix... Let me know if the little fix works for the desktop notepad problem :)

princessmimi

princessmimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ah, you seem to have beat me to the post with the Combofix problem. It did indeed disappear with OTL. The notepad problem, however... Desktop.ini Properties won't allow me to make it hidden. Out of the two boxes, only the Read-Only can be checked.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Can you right click and select delete ?

If not I will go hunting again

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hold on that I have a better idea

Run the command prompt by going to the start menu and selecting Run
Type in CMD
In the black Box type CD.. (CD followed by two dots)
Continue doing that until you get just a C> prompt

Then type these two commands from the command
prompt: pressing enter after each :

attrib /s -s -h -r desktop.ini
attrib /s +s +h desktop.ini
exit

princessmimi

princessmimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It will delete, but I'm getting a warning message that deleting this file may cause the computer run improperly, so I'm a little afraid of doing it. It says it's been on my computer since I got it so many years ago. I also noticed that every single folder has the desktop file in it (it appears twice on my startup menu), so I'm not sure if it's exactly just the notepad, but all these desktop.ini files appearing everywhere?? Any suggestions would be appreciated; I just feel badly that I'm bugging you with it...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ah you have two in the start up menu - are they both unable to be set to hidden ? If not then delete the one that you cannot change

Otherwise do the little command thing that I posted prior to this

princessmimi

princessmimi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Very good news! I tried the cmd method and didn't think it would work, since I was getting warnings that attrib.exe was corrupt and unreadable. Ran Chkdsk like it told me to do, and all desktop.ini files are gone and the notepad message (finally) disappeared. :yes:

Seeing as everything is coming out good, I believe it's time to just say a huge, huge Thank you!!! to you. :) I really appreciated you helping me out, especially considering I had no clue what I was doing. I think you may have just extended the life of this old piece of junk for a little while longer, and I'm grateful enough for that alone. Thanks again for your help and your time!! :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure - I like everyone to leave as a happy bunny - enjoy :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.