Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP System Restore - help!

• Please log in to reply

KPCM2011

KPCM2011

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello! I'm hoping someone can help with what is probably a really simple issue with system restore on Windows XP.

I have a HP Pavilion notebook and recently the sound stopped working for no reason. I ran system restore, it fixed it. Marvellous.

My only worry is that now every time I turn my laptop on, the system restore message pops up. I forget the exact wording but it's basically saying that system restore has worked. Does this mean it is system restoring every time I shut down and reboot? Do I need to do something to stop this? There is no other option on the message than to click 'ok'.

Apologies if this is a dumb question! I'm grateful for any help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo.

1. Do you by any chance have Norton Anti-virus installed. If the answer is YES to NOT proceed as below.

2. When you next boot, open My Computer, right click on the hard drive, click properties, click on the Tools tab, click error checking. click check now, click to check both boxes - automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Click Start. You will receive a message to schedule for next restart. Please do so and DO NOT interrupt the check.

3. When the check has completed reboot and see if the message still appears.

If you have NORTON the instructions are different.

NB It is most certainly NOT a stupid question. There are NO stupid questions.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 October 2011 - 04:41 PM.

KPCM2011

KPCM2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Macboatmaster, thanks for your reply.

I do indeed have Norton Anti-Virus. Any tips? Is this what's causing the problem?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Norton sees Windows System restore as an unauthorised change to your computer and prevents the restore from completing in its entirety. This is very likely the reason for the message. Nefore you proceed check that your porduct is Norton 2011.
DO NOT PROCEED with these instructions if it is NOT 2011.
Also be aware that you will NOT of course NOW have that restore point you used before. Therefore check the date of the restore point you are NOW going to use, as anything installed since the date of that restore that you choose will be lost. ie: all your personal data, - so back that up first to a flash drive or an external drive if you have one and of course any contact details etc. Also remember please you will also lose any programs installed since the restore point.

MY BEST ADVICE and especially if you do not mind losing your subscription to Norton is to uninstall it. Remove it completely using a Norton Removal Tool I will send you and choose another less resource hogging and in my opinion far more suitable anti-virus from this link.
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/
Norton is alright for protection but causes more problems than many other anti-virus programs.

• Start your Norton 2011 product.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click Miscellaneous Settings.
  • Under Product Security, next to Norton Product Tamper Protection, click the status indicator to turn it Off.
  • In the Settings window, click Apply.
  • Click OK.
STEP 2
Run Windows System Restore
  • Run Windows System Restore again.
  • Follow the online instructions for your operating system to complete Windows System Restore.
STEP 3
Turn on Norton Product Tamper Protection
  • Start your Norton 2011 product.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click Miscellaneous Settings.
  • Under Product Security, next to Norton Product Tamper Protection, click the status indicator to turn it On.
  • In the Settings window, click Apply.
  • Click OK.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2011 - 10:56 AM.

KPCM2011

KPCM2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for your help. I chose to completely remove Norton, as I am learning more and more about how rubbish it is.

I used the Norton Removal tool. After the removal and a restart, the system restore message no longer appears. Hurrah!

I will definitely investigate other anti-virus systems and really appreciate your help.

Thanks again Macboatmaster!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I hope YOU ALREADY DO HAVE ONE INSTALLED

Pleased it worked and thank you for posting the result.
You would be surprised, possibly, how many people do not even bother to respond.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2011 - 03:22 PM.