I use a Gateway NV53. Pretty sure it is running Windows Vista.
Yesterday, it started going very s....l.....o....w.... It took forever to load on start-up and from sleep mode and to open programs. Even typing was an issue. Husband did Windows update, which took several hours. Service Pack update??? Husband had no problem using mouse. It installed it's updates and restarted through the night while we were sleeping.
This morning, the slow issue is gone. Poof. But, now the left click doesn't work on the laptops integrated mouse.
Here's what I have and have not tried.
1. I have NOT tried another mouse. I don't have a USB mouse to try, only wireless and I don't want to screw up the mouse drivers even more by installing a 5+ year old wireless mouse.
2. I tapped the touchpad on/off function key at the top of the keyboard.
3. I restarted several times, including in Safe Mode
4. I went to Control Panel and made sure that a function was set for the left click button
5. I updated the mouse driver
6. I did a roll back to an earlier version of the mouse driver
7. I did another update to the driver (kind of like a re-install?)
8. I checked the properties of the mouse in Device Driver and it says the device is functioning properly
9. I set the left click button's function to "Shortcut Menu". Left-clicking did NOT bring up the Shortcut Menu
10. I set the right click button's function to "Click" so I can use it to select instead of left-click button. Right click button DOES work to select.
I am reluctant to uninstall the mouse driver because at least I can use the computer right now, even though it is a little awkward to use the right click button. But, I will do it if that will fix the issue.
Anyone want to earn my undying gratitude by helping me fix this?