Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop left-click not working

• Please log in to reply

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Geeks!

I use a Gateway NV53. Pretty sure it is running Windows Vista.

Yesterday, it started going very s....l.....o....w.... It took forever to load on start-up and from sleep mode and to open programs. Even typing was an issue. Husband did Windows update, which took several hours. Service Pack update??? Husband had no problem using mouse. It installed it's updates and restarted through the night while we were sleeping.

This morning, the slow issue is gone. Poof. But, now the left click doesn't work on the laptops integrated mouse.

Here's what I have and have not tried.

1. I have NOT tried another mouse. I don't have a USB mouse to try, only wireless and I don't want to screw up the mouse drivers even more by installing a 5+ year old wireless mouse.

2. I tapped the touchpad on/off function key at the top of the keyboard.
3. I restarted several times, including in Safe Mode
4. I went to Control Panel and made sure that a function was set for the left click button
5. I updated the mouse driver
6. I did a roll back to an earlier version of the mouse driver
7. I did another update to the driver (kind of like a re-install?)
8. I checked the properties of the mouse in Device Driver and it says the device is functioning properly
9. I set the left click button's function to "Shortcut Menu". Left-clicking did NOT bring up the Shortcut Menu
10. I set the right click button's function to "Click" so I can use it to select instead of left-click button. Right click button DOES work to select.

I am reluctant to uninstall the mouse driver because at least I can use the computer right now, even though it is a little awkward to use the right click button. But, I will do it if that will fix the issue.

Anyone want to earn my undying gratitude by helping me fix this?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
That Gateway NV53 was mostly loaded with Windows 7.
Posted Image
Specifications
Part Number: NV53Gateway NV53 Notebook Series

Following are the specifications for the Gateway® NV53 notebook series.
Specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation.

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic 64-bit
However that is NOT to say that your model was NOT supplied with Vista. It depends on its age.

Could you please clarify if you are using the Touchpad pointing device, featuring vertical scroll and single button design (left/right mouse), supporting:
  • Two-finger scroll
  • Pinch-action zoom
  • Page flip
I think I have read your post as you are using the touchpad, but when you say another mouse, as against a mouse to try. I would appreciate it if you would clarify.

Please do this so that I know exactly what you have by way of the Operating system

Click on the Windows button, bottom left of your desktop.
In the search bar type
msinfo32
open that and on the page on which it opens click the Edit tab and click select all.
Now click the edit tab again and click copy.
On your reply click paste.

The above depends of course on exactly what you can do with the mouse.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 October 2011 - 06:29 PM.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It is the model you describe above. Integrated mouse. Supports those functions, but they are currently disabled because I can't use them.

I will check the Windows edition and get back to you, but it is most likely you are right about Windows 7. I'm not sure where I heard Windows Vista.

Just to update you, the left click started randomly working, then stopped again. Then the right click, which I had been using stopped working, too.

Keyboard commands like tab and arrow keys are letting me access different screens through the Start screen. If that makes sense.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well if it is working for the time being send me the information please, as requested.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry! I got busy last night.

It is Windows 7.

The part in the OP about "another" mouse, was because I tried to do some research on how to fix it and most people suggested plugging in a USB mouse to see if it was the drivers, I guess.

Thanks!!!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Will you please send the information I asked for in my original post and have just requested again in my post 4.

click on the Windows button, bottom left of your desktop.
In the search bar type
msinfo32
open that and on the page on which it opens click the Edit tab and click select all.
Now click the edit tab again and click copy.
On your reply click paste.

If you wish delete the personal info of user name etc after pasting.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 October 2011 - 11:55 AM.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I didn't understand what you were looking for. I am not with the computer right now, so I will have to send it later this evening.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry it took so long to get what you wanted, but here it is!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model NV53
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core M300, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.05, 12/7/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.65 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.49 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.19 GB
Page File Space 3.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Now we know exactly what operating system you have go to this link
http://support.gatew...=1&modelId=2374

Check that it is still set on your computer and the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit operating system.
There are two touchpad drivers one ALPS and one Synaptics

If you do not know which is applicable to your particular computer and you believe there is ANY chance you have installed the wrong one, then at the top of the page before the driver listing is hardware detection utility. Run that.

If you KNOW which you want, then when on that SITE and only on that site disable your anti-virus protection as this can corrupt the driver download. It may appear to work bu the file can still be corrupted.
Save the download to your computer.
unzip the download

Now go to the device in Device Manager and open the device. On the driver tab select update driver.
DO NOT ALLOW windows to do this automatically, but select Browse my computer for Driver software.
In the window that opens, select the first choice and using the button to the righ browse to where you have saved that unzipped driver download.
Find the driver exe. file or whatever it is called and select that.
Then follow the instructions.
WHEN installing keep your anti-virus protection turned off as it is possible that the same can apply to the installation as to the download.

CAUTION - do not forget to turn it back on.

Reboot the computer and check .
Please post result.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 October 2011 - 01:41 PM.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You are awesome.

It may take a day or so until I can post results, but I will let you know how it goes ASAP!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

You are awesome

Well thank you very much, but I do not believe in counting chickens before they hatch.

It may turn out not to be a driver issue, but a touchpad contact issue.
However the driver issue is the way to go at first.
I will wait to hear from you

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Actually it has started working. I am going to keep an eye on it, but I think whatever was going on resolved itself.

In my experience, that usually means something is about to break really good.

Either way, you are awesome because you were willing to help a stranger half a world away from you . Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting the reply.
If it does fail again, do as I suggest and if that does not solve the problem come back to us and we will try again.

I would consider the purchase of a mouse, you do not need anything sophisticated. In fact I would buy a simple two button mouse, just in case it goes and you cannot use it at all.

mrs. manis

mrs. manis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree!!! Plus Husband HATES the integrated mouse. I know I sound like a luddite, but sometimes simpler is better! Less stuff to break. Haha.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
mrs.manis

I am offline from tonight until late 5 Nov.
Someone else will very likely reply if you need help in the meantime.