Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not turn on!

• Please log in to reply

Monotov

Monotov

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay so here's the rundown of events that lead to my computer not being able to power on:

1) I thought my video card was bricked (I have an nVidia GTX460) I was unable to get a signal on my monitor. I RMA'd the old card and got the new one, but still had problems.

I finally got a signal on my monitor - Now my OS (Windows Vista 64 bit) is corrupted. Windows won't load and it automatically takes me to the startup repair screen. It asks me to hit F1 to continue, but it just loops back to the same screen.

2) I went into the BIOS and changed the boot sequence to my CD/DVD drive and used my repair disk, but once again no joy! Windows would not reinstall correctly.

3) I reseated the video card into a different PCI slot, then reseated my RAM (I have 9 gigs) After reseating the RAM, my computer won't turn on at all. When I hit the power button, you can vaguely here the fan power up, but then nothing.

I have a very good 850W PSU i bought about 7 months ago. So now I'm wondering...is my PSU shot, my HDD corrupted, or my motherboard blown. I have not been able to test my PC with another PSU yet. I just find it weird that reseating my RAM would make my computer die. I've tried putting in 1 stick at a time, but still no luck.

Should i try resetting the CMOS? I work in IT, but mainly help desk stuff, but i know my way around a computer. Can anyone chime in with some advice or actions I can take to isolate this problem?

I'm at my wits end with this computer. It is a high end gaming computer. It's all custom, except for the crap motherboard I have.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way if this helps in any way, this is the 3rd time I've had to re-format my PC in the last year. It will work for a few months at a time then crash (no blue screens) but I will just put in my computers original disk and re-install everything.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have access to other computers, first test the hard drive in another computer, maybe with a external enclosure. If you have complete access to the drive, with no errors when you try to open files, the drive is probably OK.

Try the PSU in another computer. I dont even mount the PSU but just set it on a cardboard box and hook it up. Then see if the other computer boots up. If so then the PSU is good.

That leaves you with only one answer, EH! Personally it sounds like the MB from the get-go, but it's better to check everything and know for sure.

SRX660