Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Babylon search.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
HI, sorry if I've missed any relevant postings for this problem. I don't know if it is malware or just a left over from having downloaded Babylon toolbar by mistake (I think it was included with some freeware and I missed unticking a box).

I removed the unwanted Babylon toolbar but if I click on a new tab (Int. Exp. ver.8.0.6001.16702 XP pro 64 bit)I get the Babylon search page with the Babylon icon in the right corner. I have looked for some time to find an answer for removing it but none seem to be relevant, most are for Firefox.

The only thing I can find in connection with this is an add-on which I have disabled. The toolbar is not listed in 'add remove progs'. I have also run 'Malwarebytes' but still have the problem.

Didn't think I'd have to post about something that would seem a minor problem but it's annoying and I'm interested to know where the source is hiding....anyone help?

Steve

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ste,

I removed the unwanted Babylon toolbar

Was that uninstalled through the Add/Remove Programs?

Do you remember what program may have installed the Babylon ToolBar? This Toolbar is usually installed alongside of the Babylon 7 Translation program.

In IE, go to Tools > Manage Add-ons

Click on Toolbars and Extensions in the left hand pane.

Scroll down and look for anything Babylon, left click, then click Disable button on lower right.

Once it is disabled please do the following:

Please note:
Some of the following steps may not be necessary since you have already "uninstalled" the Toolbar. Please just move on to the next step as needed.

• Right click the Babylon icon on the lower right of your screen next to the system clock (if found) and click Exit. Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click Start on your computer and click Run.
  • Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter. This will bring you to the programs window that displays programs and applications installed on your computer.
  • Scroll through the programs folder and click Babylon Toolbar. Click Remove/Uninstall and click Yes to confirm the uninstall process.
  • Double click My Computer on the desktop and double click the C: drive. Double click the Programs Files folder.
  • Locate the Babylon folder. Right click on it and click Delete. Confirm Yes to delete it. Empty the Recycle Bin.

Let me know if that helps.

Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 25 October 2011 - 08:56 PM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, thanks for the replies. I tried the ‘Revo’ uninstaller and can’t find anything to do with Babylon.

As I mentioned I uninstalled the ‘Babylon Toolbar’ downloaded by mistake and nothing shows up in program listings now.

I also mentioned that the only add-on which relates to this, ‘Translate this web page with Babylon’ is disabled.

There was a Babylon folder which I deleted before first posting. This is the problem, I click on a new tab in IE and instead of getting the ‘What do you want to do next page’ I get a search page with the Babylon logo in the top right corner. Google is my default SE.I presume the culprit is hiding in the registry somewhere.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ste,

I was afraid that would be the case. But I had hope. Babylon is very aggressive. I am providing you with the link below that has detailed instructions on how to remove this beast. Please read thoroughly and try the instructions provided there.

Babylon removal instructions:

If this does not rid your computer of this aggressive Toolbar/Search Engine it may be best to have the experts in the removal forum to use more drastic methods. With special scans that can not be used in our Computer Help forum they will be able to locate all the residual files left from the uninstall and remove them for you.

Please follow the instructions in our Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide beginning at Step 2 and create a new thread in our Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum by clicking on Start New Topic. Please place a link to this thread here so they can see what has been done so far.

Thank you,

Donna

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ste,

Did you try the instructions in the link above? I installed the Babylon Toolbar and Search Engine to see what we are dealing with here and my what a beast to get rid of. I have IE8 and Firefox. Took control over both of my browsers and installed as an Extension in Firefox which I had to remove.

Here's how I got rid of it. I hope it works for you, too!

1st Step:
1.) Uninstalled from Add/Remove programs by Right clicking and uninstall.
2.) Start > C: > Programs Files > Babylon ---> Right click and delete folder.

2nd Step:
In the browser:
Tools > Internet Options > General tab:
Change Home page to whatever you prefer if it is set for Babylon.com
Under Search > Change Search Defaults click Settings to enter Manage Add-ons.

In Manage Add-ons:
Click Google to highlight > then click Set as Default in lower right.
Click on Babylon (should be disabled) then click Remove

Let me know if that helps you. If not, I could have missed a step and I can reinstall it and take better notes as I uninstall again.

Edited by DonnaB, 26 October 2011 - 04:49 PM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Donna, I have done all those things you list and it refuses to go. As you suggested I have started a new post in the 'Virus Malware Spyware' forum. I'll have to see what happens.

(http://www.geekstogo...babylon-search/)

Steve.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ste,

I have started a new post in the 'Virus Malware Spyware' forum. I'll have to see what happens.

Wonderful! :)

Thank you for the link to your thread in the removal forum. You are in very good hands there. I'm sure you'll make progress.

Good luck!

Donna :yes: