Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading Win XP updates to cd/flash drive

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
Is there a way for me to download updates for WIN XP PRO SP3 and burn them to a cd or put on a flash drive? I have several friends with no access to the internet except dial up and it is difficult for them to get the updates.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Janis
You can download them as an ISO and burn them to disk using BurnCDCC http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html
updates @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Or download the UDC script from here. Run it. It will download all the updates released since SP3. Delete the ones that end in .cab or .7z and download the ones in footnote 1 manually.

If they have IE8 installed...

Replace WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2586448-x86-ENU.exe.
Replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.
Replace WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2544521-x86-ENU.exe.

When you burn them, add this script to your burn in the same folder as the updates...

echo Installing post SP3 updates...
for %%a in (*.exe) do (
start /wait %%a /quiet /norestart /nobackup )
pause

Remove the /nobackup if you don't want that.

Run the batch file and it will install all the updates for you.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
The library restricts all downloads onto their computers and the library is the closest place with a fast connection. I was hoping they (or I) could get all downloads on transferable media and then have them installed on their systems. We wouldn't be able to download the burn program recommended. I believe the library only has an old version of ROXIO.