Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling second OS from Second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mel41

mel41

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have two hard drives my C:/ drive is small but has xp pro installed on it while the second is much larger it only has xp home and its the first version. i would like to get rid of this os and change the start up to only boot xp pro and possibly partition my second hard drive with the same since it is much larger. although i do not have the disk. Any help would be appreciated. My boot.ini reads

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=signature(cb6bcb6b)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
signature(cb6bcb6b)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Advertisements

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
First, make a backup of 'boot.ini'. Now do the following:
1. Open you command promt, to do so, go to RUN and type 'cmd'(without quotes).
Type:
bootcfg /default /ID2
This should change your default as WinXP Pro, but I am confused - Both of your os id is same and its 1. The second os id should be 2. Check the boot.ini again and make sure that all the texts are correct you posted in the forum.
Secondly type:
bootcfg /delete /ID1
This will delete your desired os, I don't know why both of your id is same. But try this, it will work well, otherwise it will show error message. But note that it is harmless. Don't forget to make a backup of boot.ini
Just make a copy and keep it in another place.

Edited by sadman1996, 28 October 2011 - 01:04 AM.

mel41

mel41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you very much it worked wonders. Secondly i just set up a dual monitor setup for my desktop. I was trying to set my secondary monitor vertical because it turns vertical or landscape. Do you know how i change the settings on just the one monitor so the desktop is vertical instead of landscape? I would like to keep the primary monitor landscape while the secondary is vertical to use it for reading documents and such. Any ideas would help. Again i am running xp pro. I really appreciate your time and willingness to help me out.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Oh, I am very happy that it worked. Now it comes about your dual monitor, well I don't know about it much. But go here, I have found a nice software for you, hope that it will help you in not only changing your monitor positions but also a lots of features. Click HERE to know about the software

Edited by sadman1996, 29 October 2011 - 08:27 AM.