Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell won't work

• Please log in to reply

Rachael91

Rachael91

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Basically I'm 19, I live on my own, and whilst I know the basics about laptops I aren't at all genius' like the lot of you. I've tried to read through some of the posts and find it really difficult so if anyone knows the answer to my problem please try to pretend you're talking to an alien and give it in simple terms.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 that is about a month out of warranty so Dell won't help. It came up with an error about two weeks ago saying Time And Date Clock Stopped or something very similar. I took it to a local technician who changed the clock battery or something like that. It was a tiny circle thing. It worked for a couple hours and then went dead and wouldn't do anything at all. Wouldn't turn on or light up or anything. They then said they had forgot to attach the switch that goes under the keyboard that it needs to turn back on so I went back and he reattached the clip, but still it doesn't work.

My friends baby crawled on top of the laptop when the lid was down and hey presto it worked again! Then a few days later the same happened and it just won't turn on. Could something be loose? Or is it just dead? My local technician says it might be the motherboard? I don't understand why it would work after a baby had sat on it, surely it means something clicked in to place?

I put the charger in and I know it works but the light on the laptop that should come on to say its charging stays off. I press the power on button and theirs no whirl noise or lights or anything it just doesn't budge BUT if I press the button lots of times the screen flashes white for a millisecond and then nothing again.

Any idea?

Rachael

Advertisements

Rachael91

Rachael91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Helpppp !

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Rachael91

A couple things.
1. The clock battery should not be dead this soon. They last for years.
2. The battery is not needed to start the laptop.
3. If the charger is working AND the board is good then you should have power to the board.

It does sound like the main board in the laptop is bad, or something is still disconnected.
Even if the hard drive is bad, you would get writing on the screen which is the bios info.

I would push Dell to take a look at it.