Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MAJOR NVIDIA GRAPHIC DRIVER ISSUES

• Please log in to reply

chump0

chump0

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, I am not sure where to start here. I was having issues with my display with flickering horizontal lines that came and went. Eventually I wasn't able to start up my computer without getting a BSOD. I was able to start my computer in safe mode with networking and found out that the minidump log stated that I had an error in my nvidia display driver. I then did a little research, and found online that some people were able to start back up in normal mode if they uninstalled their current nvidia drivers. By the way I have a nvidia geforce 7900 gt/gto graphic card. I went ahead and did that, and I am currently able to start in normal mode once again. I tried redownloading current drivers for my card, but every time I do that I get the BSOD again. I also noticed that I have weird display issues with little colored dots everywhere, especially during start up with the black background. I would really like my nvidia driver enabled again, but I am unsure how to do so. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi chump0
Try downloading and installing an earlier driver this may especially work if the issue occurred after a driver update.
You must make sure that all traces of the previous driver are removed before installing the replacement drivers as having an overlap of drivers can cause system instability and/or crashes, did you make sure you did this previously?
Download the replacement drivers first and save them to your desktop ready for the fresh install then uninstall the problem drivers then reboot and install your saved drivers.

I also noticed that I have weird display issues with little colored dots everywhere, especially during start up with the black background.

This can be caused by drivers but it can also be caused by heat, a failing video card or PSU, how clean is the inside of the case and are all cooling fans working.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

chump0

chump0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for the slow response. I just finished using guru3d drive sweeper to get rid of any driver files I still had installed on my computer. I tried googling an older driver for my card, but can't seem to find one. My card is a nvidia geforce 7900 gt/gto. I still have artifacts, there isn't that many when I start my computer, but I seem to get more as time goes by. Anyways here is the information you requested from speedfan.

GPU: 0 C
Temp1: 46 C
Temp2: 41 C
Temp 3: -128 C
HD0: 35 C
Core: 50 C

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Can you please post the actual screenshot of the Speedfan results "how to below" it will also be helpful if you can provide readings taken when you first boot up and after the computer has been on for some time and has been used under load;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :)

Can you also provide the driver details as in they will look something similar to these 6.14.12.5896

chump0

chump0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Windows somehow managaed to automatically download a nvidia driver for me. I am able to do a normal boot with it but I am still getting artifacts, and flickering thin black lines that run across the screen from time to time. Anyways, here is my speedfan results. I have had the computer running for about 15 minutes.

My driver details are 8.17.12.5896

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.jpg

Edited by chump0, 27 October 2011 - 09:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Windows somehow managaed to automatically download a nvidia driver for me. I am able to do a normal boot with it

That makes two positives then as Speedfan shows your your voltages to be good, your temps whilst not dramatically hot would benefit from being lower, couple of questions for you, when was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust, how many internal fans do you have (Speedfan shows one) and have you checked that they are all working, see post #2 which you did not answer;
This can be caused by drivers but it can also be caused by heat, a failing video card or PSU, how clean is the inside of the case and are all cooling fans working.

chump0

chump0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have three fans inside the tower, and they are all currently working. The inside of the tower is fairly clean I think. I use the air duster to spray the inside from time to time. Some of the cards look a bit dusty though. How do you recommend I clean those?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Below is my canned text on "how to" clean out the inside of your case safely;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

NB: If you use canned compressed air please do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.