Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reinstall Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

sthpawil

sthpawil

• Pip
  • 3 posts
DELL Precision Workstation 370, BIOS A08, P4 2.80GHz 800MHZ 1MB, 2.0GB/533MHZ DDR2 SDRAM, 80GB FAT32 Partition.

Last Thursday my computer began telling me that I had 3 days to activate my Windows (as well as all other Microsoft programs). Monday morning I was unable to start the computer in either SAFE MODE or NORMAL MODE. Brought computer in to local store and they said Windows was corrupt. They got it running again, albeit barely (it will start up in both SAFE MODE and NORMAL mode but I can't really run any programs because it is extremely slow. Also, it now states that I have 29 days to activate my Windows software. I picked up my computer in order to back up all of my files.

Today I finished backing all of my files up. The first thing that I tried was a repair install but it wouldn't do that. The last thing I did was try reinstalling Windows XP Pro SP1 using the disk that originally came with my computer from DELL.

The computer boots from the CD fine but when the "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER" option appears and I press ENTER, it tells me "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Blah blah blah..... Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3."

What should my next step be?

Thank you.

Advertisements

sthpawil

sthpawil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
NOTE: I am unable to reinstall from Windows because my OEM cd is only XP Pro SP1 and my computer had been updated to SP2 (I never did update to SP3). It gives me an error message that the installed version is newer than the version on my CD.

sthpawil

sthpawil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY - I am giving up and taking the computer to the repair shop.

geekfan718

geekfan718

• Pip
  • 1 posts
you can do by yourself, first of all go to control panel ---> add and remove programs and delete the SP2 package rebooted and try again and you'll see. Good luck