Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"clean" repair install XP

• Please log in to reply

challenged1

challenged1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Trying to do a "repair" install of XP to save hundreds of hours of reinstalling programs and other setup! Started XP install program from Windows using a slipstreamed XP3 (I've used it sucessfully before); it collected pertinent data, then rebooted. I think because this OS was on a drive with 3 partitions and the boot directions were coming from gpart (I had ubuntu on another drive), the computer got confused and couldn't find the correct partition for the reboot.

Ultimately I disconnected the other HD, and attempted several times to do the repair install from CD-ROM. Repeatedly it would progress to a certain point, reboot, but only to a black screen with a mouse pointer. Tried again, with original XP SP2 CD, thinking maybe it was an XP3 driver problem. Same results.

Every time I've tried, I get the "Setup has already attempted to upgrade the following Windows installation" message and tried to continue from there. I'm wondering if there are setup files that don't get deleted and continue to load a bad driver?

Is it possible to TOTALLY delete any/all setup files from the previous attempts so that a "fresh" CD-ROM repair install will see ONLY the system as though a repair install had never yet been attempted? What is the process? What are the filenames? (Countless hours of net research has been fruitless so far.)

Thanks so much for your insights!

Edited by challenged1, 26 October 2011 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Hi chalanged1and Welcome to the forum
A good place to start would be this tutorial (linked below) by Admin from here -

http://www.geekstogo...indpost__p__489
As always - Please tell us if you need more information.

Regards -

challenged1

challenged1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
From what I can tell, I have followed the directions, particularly in the first post. I really need your help to 1) discover what is causing my current repair install to result in a black screen with mouse pointer (after the Win XP logo appears) when booting, and/or b) delete any "setup" files and directives on the drive so that I can create a "fresh" repair install.

BTW, the current repair install was built after I restored the registry files from an autobackup directory of ERDNT for a date when I know everything was functioning well.

Edited by challenged1, 27 October 2011 - 02:35 PM.