Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to speed up computer performance uses xp

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have been trying to speed up my friend's old Dell desktop. I have run Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security essentials, Super Antispyware, and Eset online scanner to remove the viruses and spyware. I have run autoruns and eliminated any that had a path that wasn't found. I have run disk cleanup and disk defrag. I have went into startup and tried to limit the number of programs at startup. After all that, the computer still seems sluggish. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have run Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security essentials, Super Antispyware, and Eset online scanner to remove the viruses and spyware.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you for your help, I got it taken care of. Once the last virus was cleared it speed up considerably. You can close this thread. Thanks again.

Edited by obsidianx, 04 November 2011 - 01:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for updating us on your status and Congratulations. :yes: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Just another thing that could speed the computer up a bit more is disabling unecssary services if you want to five this a shot, hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have an issue with being unable to startup windows xp in an older compaq laptop. If you get a minute could you take a look at it.

http://www.geekstogo...de-when-starts/

chris629

chris629

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here are the key steps to speeding up your PC.

1)Free up disk space. A hard drive that is close to being full will drastically slow down your computer. You can clear up space by deleting temporary internet files, empty your recycle bin, remove programs that you do not use, put important files on an external hard drive.

2)Another way to free up disk space is to use "Disk Cleanup" on your Windows PC. To do this, click "start" and go to "Accessories", go to "System Tools", and click "Disk Cleanup".

3)Scan for Viruses, Adware, and Spyware. These nasty programs can slow down your computer worse than anything. I would recommend purchasing software that can remove all three of these common problems.

4)Don't automatically start up programs when you turn your computer on. Close any programs that you do not use that open when you start up your computer. These programs will run in the background and steal RAM (Random Access Memory).

5)Defragment your hard drive. Defragging your hard drive places all of your information for each file in one place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some honest reviews for the top selling registry cleaners online: http://regcurelicensekeycode.com/

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 October 2012 - 12:57 AM.
Removal of Registry instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.