Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lenovo T400 - X6 UltraBase compatibility?

• Please log in to reply

lockesmith

lockesmith

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, all!
I have a Lenovo T400 laptop assigned to me for work. My supervisor recently ordered a ThinkPad X6 UltraBase for me. My question is are the two even compatible? I'm looking at purchasing a better drive than the CD-RW/DVD-ROM that's included, but I don't want to waste my money if my laptop is incompatible with the base. Thank you in advance for your answers!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Not sure what you mean by compatible. They both run Windows and will run Office and connect to your network. As for a better CD-RW/DVD-ROM, pretty much a CD-RW/DVD-ROM is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. The only think you could do for an upgrade is to get a writer. And if you need that for your work, your boss should pay for it. Also, notebooks use proprietary cases so you would need a drive that physically fits the Thinkpad.

lockesmith

lockesmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the quick response! What I mean by compatible is the fit of the docking station. It is an X6, meant for, (I assume,) only certain Lenovo models. I have a T400 Lenovo Thinkpad. As for the 'drive' portion of the question, the docking station has a seperate Ultrabay Slim drive, capable of quick-changing for an extra battery, HDD, or CD/DVD/Blu-Ray reader/writer. Not all is cross-compatible, or so I would also, (possibly incorectly,) assume. I just need to determine that the docking station itself will fit my laptop. :))

lockesmith

lockesmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also, these drives aren't exactly 'necessary' for work... just wanted for *various* reasons!

lockesmith

lockesmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
From measurements found on the web, it doesn't seem that they would fit. Nevermind the question, and thank you for your time!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Oops. My mistake. Sorry. I assumed and that got me in trouble - again. I did not look up what the ThinkPad X6 UltraBase was and so didn't realize you were talking about a docking station.

You are correct that it appears it will not work as the X6 UltraBase is for Series 6 ThinkPads and you have a Series 4.