Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Build Problem

• Please log in to reply

dean8020

dean8020

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I am new here, sorry if this is in the wrong place/shouldn't be a new thread etc..
Edit: also apologies for the vague title :)

Essentially I have just built a system, which when first tested booted ok, Inserted the motherboard disc and waited,
It told me to reboot the machine, and since then, no life, well the fans come on and the LEDS but no POST beep or BIOS.

Here are the specs,

Asus M5A78L Motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 955
8GB Crucial ballistix DDR3 1600MHz RAM
320GB WD caviar blue HD
Lite-On IT BluRAY ODD.

Using the onboard graphics,

The PSU came with the case and looks rather cheap and is only 300W, I thought this may be the problem,
So at the moment nothing is plugged in other than the motherboard, and there is 2GB DDR3 1333MHz ram in, still no luck.

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance
Dean

Edited by dean8020, 27 October 2011 - 12:58 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi dean8020, Posted Image

What is the make and model of the case and PSU?

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
The case is an e-mini E-2028
and the PSU does not have a make on it, but is model:FLX300W

At the moment I am considering swapping the case though due to build quality issues with the rest of it.

dean

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Have you specified the correct Mobo.

Using the onboard graphics

The listed board does not have on board graphics.

http://www.aria.co.u...productId=45538

Can you borrow or get access to a known working PSU?

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
Sorry, the Mobo is 5A78L-M (forgot the -M before)

And I may be able to get access to:
1)An untested 500W PSU
2)A known working 1kW PSU

Option 1 is by far the easiest as it will just be sat in a box,
Option 2 is the PSU in my main machine and everything will be all cable-tied up nicely...

Is it worth giving the first a try?

Edited by dean8020, 28 October 2011 - 10:40 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Is it worth giving the first a try?

Yes. Don"t know how au fait you are to building.

When working on the PC, always unplug from the mains and take anti static measures by touching a bare unpainted part of the computer case.

Disconnect every lead from the installed PSU that are attached to everything in the compute, including fans.
From your test PSU, connect the 20+4 pin main connector and the 4+4 ATX 12v connector. Without the HDD connected, you should still get a signal to the monitor.
If successful, the installed PSU Is shot.
If no good, the test PSU could be faulty so you may have to resort to using the know good one.

When using the known good PSU,
if successful, the installed PSU is shot, you will have to get a new one. You will not know if any other parts have been damaged until you connect everything else up and try to install the OS.

If no good, The installed PSU is shot and there is damage to the other components.

Let us know the results and we can proceed from there.

Edited by iammykyl, 28 October 2011 - 05:56 PM.

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I have tried the steps suggested with the 500W supply, still no luck,
So I have tried the known good PSU, and still no luck.....
I also wondered if the BIOS had been corrupted (a long shot) so I downloaded the BIOS from the Asus website put it on a flash drive and switched on, but no apparent joy.

Regards
Dean

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,
Took the Mobo back to the shop and they were happy to swap it,
Now using the 500W PSU in a new case and boots up ok,
Time to try and install an OS.

Thanks for all yours help.

Dean

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Posted Image

Please let us know the end result.

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I thought we were all good to go, turns out not,
The motherboard Disc was still in the CD drive when I plugged it in and booted up, it decided to flash the BIOS, when it said to power down and restart it never came back on again.
Same symptoms as before.
Any advice?

Dean

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi Dean.

Bit of a pain for you.

First thing to try is clearing th CMOS by moving th jumper caps. Follow the steps in the Mobo manual. If no luck.

I think we should do a bare bones set up for a basic test of the components.

You have been using the 500w PSU. You must be 100% sure it is OK otherwise reosrt to using the known working one. You can leave it inside the PC providing you detach every single power cable.

Unplug from the wall socket, take anti static measures.

Remove the Mobo from the case and place on a clean plain (no printing) piece of cardboard a little bigger than the board.
You were using the on board graphics before, but if not, remove the add on video card and any other add on card installed.
Remove the 2 sticks of RAM from the BLACK slots and place to one side.
Remove one stick of RAM from the A2 BLUE slot, place to one side SEPARATE from the first 2 sticks.
Consult your Mobo manual to clear the CMOS by moving the jumper caps but, DO NOT, proceed to starting the computer at this time. .

Connect the following.
The 20+4 pin and 4+4 pin power leads.
a keyboard.
the monitor to the correct socket on the Mobo.
Ensure the CPU fan cable is still connected to the CPU fan header on the Mobo.
If you have a internal system speaker, connect to the front panel header on the Mobo ensuring the positive marks (+) match.

Connect to the wall socket, turn on the PSU.
With a small blades screwdriver, short out the the 2 pin power switch on the front panel header. do not enter BIOS.

If a fail, let us know.

If the computer starts, you should get a signal to the screen proable with an error code like, no OS, or no HDD detected. If you have connected the system speaker, you should get some beeps.

Restart the PC by shoring out the reset pins on the front header panel and press or hold down the delete key to enter the BIOS.
Set the time and date, go to exit, select Load Set-up Defaults, Save and Exit. The computer will restart.

Switch off the computer, reinstall the single stick of ram to the blue A2 slot. start the PC. If OK, switch off, add the other sticks of RAM to the black slots, switch on. If OK
switch off.

Which PSU have you been using for the test?. If the 500w, let us know before proceeding furthing.

If the 1000w, remove it. connect up the 500w and start the PC. do not proceed urther, let us know the results.

Edited by iammykyl, 04 November 2011 - 09:11 PM.

dean8020

dean8020

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I started off with resetting the CMOS, even did a long reset with the battery removed.
The 500W was tested ok, so I proceeded with that.
With the bare bones set up I was still getting no luck.

At this point, while still giving things a go the plan was changed, although I am perfectly happy to sit for hours trying things out diagnosing problems, the recipient of the PC, who was sat behind me was not, and demanded we just go back to the shop again.

So back we went, I played it dumb in the shop, claimed it had never turned on, at which point they decided I must have wired it up wrong at home for 2 not to work and spent an hour testing it, to come to the conclusion it was indeed dead.
At which point they got a new one out, and tested to see it boot, then swapped it but told me I couldn't return it because it worked when it left.

So I made sure the Mobo disc wasn't in and booted the lot up, and everything has installed beautifully.

So I finish this post with a big thank you for all your suggestions and it's a shame I never got to a solution.

Regards
Dean

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Happy you got it sorted. Thank you for posting back with the end result, it really helps when others read the topic.

Unusual to get 2 dead Mobos in a row. The testing would have eventually shown a dead board.

Hope you have better luck with any future builds.