Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs refuse to load, cannot copy/move files, a few other similar p

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Open it up and reseat the cables that go to from the motherboard to the hard drives.
If you have two cables the same then swap them.

Ron

Advertisements

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm afraid I've already tried that. Somewhere around a hundred times actually. Sometimes it works for a while, but most of the time it doesn't make a difference. Do I need to replace some hardware?

I restarted my computer when Explorer froze up and now it's running fine again, but I've given up hope that that particular problem is going to just go away. The thing is it's not consistent. It'll freeze up off and on every few days over the course of a couple of months, then everything will run fine for a few months. Just when I think I have the problem licked, it comes back. Very frustrating.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Speccy log with serial number removed.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Your drives don't have SMART enabled so not much info there. Temps seem OK so it's not an overheat condition. Since it worked for a while after we installed the chipset driver, I wonder if you have a bad spot on the hard drive and that's where the chipset drivers are being stored? Try reinstalling the chipset drivers again. Then immediately run a disk check and finish with a defrag.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check,reboot.

It will take an hour or more to run. Then

Close all programs. Pause your anti-virus.
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Defragment Now, Defragment Disk.

After it finishes, reinstall the chipset one more time.

Ron

LittleRaven

LittleRaven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Just finished everything, no change. Still freezing up like before. Also once I close a program, it won't open again until I reboot. I'm going to power down and try swapping cables anyway. Can't hurt, and it might make things better for a little while.

Edit: Alright, I swapped the cables between the two hard drives, will have to see how that worked out.

Edited by LittleRaven, 05 November 2011 - 02:33 PM.