I am new to this section of the forums, as I am new to the idea that I can build a computer (with the help of my computer savvy housemate). I read the walkthru and expect it will be handy when the time comes. Thank you!
I have a list of components I expect will work together and meet my needs. Before I buy them, however, I'd like to ask if any Geeks have feedback/cautions/recommendations/advice that I should consider first? Thanks!
1. Gather all Components
Case (and any extra Case Fans) - Logisys Black and Silver ATX Case w/ side window & front USB
* Power Supply - Antec NEO 620w Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply SLI & X-fire ready
* Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-M Onboard Video, HDMI, GB LAN
* CPU (Processor) - AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AMD 6MB Cache
*and Heatsink/Fan - AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe Extra Quiet fan *OR- OCZ Vanquisher * OR- Coolermaster Hyper TX3
* RAM (Memory) - DDR3 Dual Channel memory
* Hard Drive - Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black HD 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6G (already paid for)
* Optical Drive (e.g. DVD Burner) -A currently owned Samsung Super Writemaster lightscribe speedplus TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L
* Video Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard for now, hope to upgrade to a XFX video card in the future
* Sound Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard
* Networking Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard
* Keyboard - A currently owned Logitec
* Mouse - A currently owned Kensington
* Speakers - A currently owned GE set
* Monitor - A currently owned Samsung
* Any extra add-on cards you may have for the build (eg. TV Tuner Card) - A currently owned D-Link WDA-1320 Desktop Adapter
* OS Installation Disc (eg. Windows, Linux) - A currently owned XP disc; I expect to upgrade to a future microsoft OS, but not until I must.
I am hoping that my end result will be able to run my current video games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Sims3), and a soon to be released video game (Skyrim). I will need a word processing program, tho I am consiering open office instead of microsoft word this time. I also expect my computer to handle internet acitvity including streaming from Netflix (my current computer won't stream Netflix, tho Hulu seems to work fine).
My tech-housemate is moving his computer into another room in the house, so the only one that will remain in the room with the TV is mine. Therefore, I need to have a computer that will stream from Netflix, as his will not be available to do so anymore. This was the the last of several issues that got me interested in building a new computer. My current one will have other uses elsewhere.
Thanks in advance for your advice/guidance. I am looking forward to my first custom computer (as opposed to inherited/used ones).
I really appreciate the Geeks that make this forum happen. Cheers!
Edited by NomDeKeyz, 27 October 2011 - 05:10 PM.