Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advice for my first custom build?

• Please log in to reply

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks again! I think I (we) found my future motherboard and CPU.
I still plan on getting the add on video card, when I get my next
video game (Skyrim), for my B-Day in a few months. In the mean time,
the onboard video looks to be better than the add on I am using now.

BTW - This is the updated list, more or less, of what I am looking to put together...

* Case (and any extra Case Fans) - Antec Sonata Series SOLO II Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
* Power Supply - Antec EarthWatts 650w Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply (IF ADEQUATE AFTER OTHER CHOICES ARE DECIDED)
* Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68, Onboard Video http://uk.asus.com/M...155/P8Z68V_PRO/
* CPU (Processor) - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad Core 6000K OR Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5 GHz Quad Core 8000K
*and Heatsink/Fan - Stock Heatsink/Fan that comes with the CPU (at least till the warranty runs out)
* RAM (Memory) - A-DATA SU3U1333W8G9-B 8GB DS Elpida J4208BASE-DJ-F OR SAMSUNG M378B1G73AH0-CH9 8GB DS SAMSUNG K4B4G0846A-HCH9
* Hard Drive - Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black HD 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6G (already paid for)
* Optical Drive (e.g. DVD Burner) -A currently owned Samsung Super Writemaster lightscribe speedplus TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L, for now
* Video Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard for now (a schnazzy XFX Radeon at a later time)
* Sound Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard
* Networking Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Onboard
* Keyboard - A currently owned Logitec
* Mouse - A currently owned Kensington
* Speakers - A currently owned GE set
* Monitor - A currently owned Samsung
* Any extra add-on cards you may have for the build (eg. TV Tuner Card) - A currently owned D-Link WDA-1320 Desktop Adapter
* OS Installation Disc (eg. Windows, Linux) - It looks like I will be buying a 64 bit version of XP afterall...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Nice system, let us know when you are up and running or if we can assist in any way.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Update: I have the system up and running, for the most part. The issues I am still having involve the OS, so I am not sure if this topic needs to remain open?

I would like to say that I am very happy with this system, but honestly I have yet to truly experience it. If GeeksToGo leaves this topic open, I will update again when I have everything figured out... which may be a lengthy while.

I may have to reload the OS in a manner which is entirely foreign and confusing to me (slipstream?) and I may have to reload the OS in 32bit mode for software compatibility after all... *sigh*

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No worries, please keep us updated and no need to start a new topic as our software colleagues are a mere forum away and will no doubt willingly assist :thumbsup: