Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer will not shut down

• Please log in to reply

shmalligator

shmalligator

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My computer boots a little slowly but nothing outrageous. When shutting down, though, it gets to the blue Windows screen that says "Windows is shutting down" and then it just stays there for literally hours. I usually end up having to kill the power on the computer to get it to shut down. Other than that, it acts pretty normally. Maybe a little slow, but nothing major. Is there anything I can do to get it to shut down normally? Cutting the power every time I want the computer off is probably not good for it. :/ Help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi shmalligator
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.
My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service here.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.
What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the startup TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are startup items. Uncheck the ones you do not want ot run at startup.

Click OK and reboot.

shmalligator

shmalligator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, thanks for the response and tips. I have a desktop Dell and I'm not sure what the model/series number is. How can I get that information?

I am also not sure how to get the information about the size of the HDD and how much space I have. Sorry for the inconvenience. I run Avast! as an av and I also have ZoneAlarm as a firewall. Should I remove one of these and just let the other take care of things? I was under the impression that these served different purposes.

I have to run to class now but as soon as I get home I will follow the steps you have provided. Thanks again for the assistance! :)

Edited by shmalligator, 28 October 2011 - 07:47 AM.

shmalligator

shmalligator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I had time to do the Autoruns so I have attached the .txt file. I can't thank you enough for your time. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi, thanks for the response and tips. I have a desktop Dell and I'm not sure what the model/series number is. How can I get that information?

I am also not sure how to get the information about the size of the HDD and how much space I have. Sorry for the inconvenience. I run Avast! as an av and I also have ZoneAlarm as a firewall. Should I remove one of these and just let the other take care of things? I was under the impression that these served different purposes.

I have to run to class now but as soon as I get home I will follow the steps you have provided. Thanks again for the assistance! :yes:

To find your systems details use Speccy http://www.piriform.com/speccy then post a screenshot of the results;

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :)

No Autoruns file has uploades please try again, let me know if you need help with this.

shmalligator

shmalligator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
screenshot.JPG Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   37.69KB   82 downloads

Alrighty, both the screenshot and the txt file should be attached now. Also, after running TFC, defrag, and taking some things out of startup, my computer will now shut down. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good news, are you happy with the outcome or do you still require assistance?
Just a cautionary tip, I notice in your Autoruns that you have Pando media booster and Game booster installed, some of these types of software can have the total opposite affect than what you are after, some further information for you @
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

shmalligator

shmalligator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am happy, as a whole the computer is running more smoothly. Thanks a lot for your help. And thanks for the information about the gameboosters! I'll check it out. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome, I am glad you got it sorted and thank you for allowing me to assist you :)