Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP menu settings problem

• Please log in to reply

pondleaper

pondleaper

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please can anyone advise if it is possible to change XP menu settings (not language) from Greek to English. The user bought the laptop from a Greek who had already installed XP in Greek.

Advertisements

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
What version of XP is installed and which service pack?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I will stand corrected, but in my opinion the short answer is NO.
Firstly if the installation is an OEM - ie Dell etc installation as against a Microsoft XP install, then the answer is I believe definitely NO

If it is not a branded computer and has an actual Microsoft XP Professional, as against Home and the MultiLingual User Interface is installed, then it MAYBE possible as Microsoft still have the download available for updates to the MUI. However I am NOT certain it is still then possible, as I think it only works from English to other languages rather than from other languages to English.

I opine that the only answer is a clean install of an English version of XP., or format it and install Ubuntu for instance.

In Control Panel your regional and lanuage options will not get you very far.
http://www.microsoft...s.mspx?mfr=true

pipeman

pipeman

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster. That's what I was getting at, but he didn't really provide a lot of information about the computer in the original post.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
pondleaper

As per my post on your other thread regarding this issue HERE
http://www.geekstogo..._fromsearch__1.

You are, because you have created two threads on the same subject now receiving help on both of them.
DO NOT worry about it.
You are welcomed to GeekstoGo, but for your future knowledge please do not create duplicate threads on the same problem.
Thank you.

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Many thanks for your very instructive help. Totally agree with your recommendation. Believe it will be necessary to do a backup of all software stuff i.e. backup C: entire contents? before downloading from internet new copy of windows XP home (checked and Microsoft has a copy) - Notebook so no CD Rom available. Huge financial problems here in Greece and am wondering if I can do this rather than paying a techie. Have never reinstalled windows before (but usually sort out all other problems myself)and a trifle nervous about messing things up. Do you have any suggestions? would really appreciate them. Sincerely Sasha (I'm a lady not a bloke).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As soon as you have your installation media we will guide you through the process.
How you proceed depends on what you wish to preservce from the existing computer.
You will need an external optical (DVD/CD) drive to make the process easy.

Installing the Windows is really easy, so you are unlikely to encounter problems.
If there is room on the HDD (hard drive) it maybe best to create what is known as a parallel install of Windows.
We can explore the options when you are ready to proceed.

In relation to backing up the existing contents, let us know what you wish to keep.

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry but believe I did tell you that no CD Rom available on this notebook therefore not sure what you mean about a DVD/CD hard drive. The notebook is not mine and therefore want to ensure all ok with doing this for the person who owns it. I have a hard drive WD portable hod which I can copy backup to. Believe I should copy programs - no need for emails as they download direct from google mail. In your opinion, is there anything else I should copy? The owner is 77 years old and the fact that everything is in Greek is making life very difficult for her.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You did and that is why I said

You will need an external optical (DVD/CD) drive to make the process easy.

You cannot just copy programs, such as Microsoft office etc or any program that you do not have the installation media for. The program will NOT work, as its install creates certain files which are not available to you just by copying the program.

You will need to copy all her personal documents, pictures, music (audio) files. Bookmarks etc

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sincere thanks for getting back to me so fast. In order not to bother you too much, am going to check exactly what she needs to save. I know her bookmarks and can easily download them and she doesn't use a word program. Shall get back to you.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are not bothering me or anyone else on this site.
We work on here becuase we enjoy it.

Have you tried the link I sent in post 3. I do not think it will get you very far as I said.
I will research further the issue of the Multilingual User Interface and come back to you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above I believe this is the authoritative answer

Is your XP version a localised one as in XP Greek over an XP Pro English Volume Licencing ( or Corporate as refered to at times ) + MUI ( Multilingual User Interface) pack which has Greek support installed? whoever admins the PCs will know this.

You can change the text input and edit, keyboard layout, print doc in various languages ( ie...English in your case )on localised versions but the GUI menus, window headings etc will stay Greek, thus if your not fluent in Greek its not going to help much. (NOTE - my comment that is on the link I sent, where I said it will not get you very far.)

You would need an English version of XP Pro and install the MUI pack, which will allow you to change the input languages, keyboard layout etc plus the important GUI menus and dialogs into various languages ( 33 iirc at last count ), the MUI pack is only available to corporate customers through VLK ( Volume Licencing ), MOLP ( MS Open Licence Policy ) or part of an Enterprise licence aggrement and not sold through retail channels or shouldnt be.

Upshot is you will need XP Pro English and a volume licencing account to aquire MUI. __________________
Microsoft® MVP - Windows Expert ~ Consumer

Please note I am NOT the Microsoft MVP -most valuable professional, the above is a copy and paste from a Microsoft Knowledge base.

I believe you may presume that you do NOT have the XP Pro VLK edition with the MUI Pack with Greek support. Unfortunately a screenshot of various items would not asist as it would be in Greek and needless to say I cannot read it.

pondleaper

pondleaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Can confirm that notebook has Windows XP Home Edition. Have taken on board that it would need Windows XP Pro to sort it and not a new copy of Windows XP home, as I thought. Again, many thanks for your valuable help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No. I am sorry you have minsunderstood.

If you had the installation media for any XP operating system and formatted and installed. it would not matter what it was you would then have the fresh installation.

The copy and paste meant that in order to convert the case in the copy and paste from Greek to English it would have needed the installation to be XP Pro and the MUI pack.

I apologise if I misled you. I should have made it more clear that it WAS not your CASE. In YOUR case, any clean installation will then have the operating system that you install in English.

May I take you back to an earlier suggestion on my post 3

I opine that the only answer is a clean install of an English version of XP., or format it and install Ubuntu for instance.

which covers that point and HAVE you considered Ubuntu - a linux based operating system FREE with all software you could reasonably need FREE.
It is slightly different to Windows but it is a NO COST option.

Have a look see what you think
http://www.ubuntu.co...u/take-the-tour

I will willingly guide you through the installation.
HOWEVER please be aware that if you install it, rather than just make the CD and have a look at it, it MAYBE a no return situation.

You can make the CD - sorry USB as you do not have a CD and do this

Try it!

You can try out Ubuntu before you install it. When your CD or USB stick is ready, you can run Ubuntu directly from your CD or USB without affecting your current system.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 November 2011 - 02:21 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
pondleaper

I am offline from tonight until Saturday 5 Nov - late on.
I very reasonably certain that someone else will look after you if you need further advice.