Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - IE Delete files says Run a dll as an App

• Please log in to reply

blackbear

blackbear

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! Search was redirecting me to wrong pages, so I did your Google Redirect steps (ERUNT, OTM, GooredFix, TDSSKILLER). TDSSKILLER didn't find anything. Tried search after fix and first results link displayed multiple tabs for the page. Tried again and some pages were going to the right thing, but some aren't. Just tried again and all results going to wrong page.

So, I thought I would delete Temporary Internet Files cookies. When I do that, I get a dialog with "Run a DLL as an App dialog. Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close..." In Task Manager, there are 4 rundll32.exe's (I've tried it a few times.). One of them's memory usage is growing. I am running XP SP3 on a DELL Latitude D600. I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and it only found a remote desktop product I used in the past.

Not sure if I should redo the Google Redirects? Or, how to fix the DLL as an APP and if I do that first?

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by blackbear, 28 October 2011 - 11:43 AM.

Advertisements

blackbear

blackbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi! Both items are fixed. After the programs didn't fix the Google Redirect, I tried using Malwarebytes and it found a number of Trojan items. I think that with the Redirect instructions fixed that problem.

For the Run DLL as APP error, I ended up trying a restore point from a couple days ago and that fixed that problem.

In the Google Redirect fix instructions, it sounded like I was supposed to post them if those steps did not work. From a Moderator reply, they shouldn't be attached. In the Google Redirect instructions, I could not get the all the links to download the programs to work (OTM, GooredFix), so I got to them a different way. On the IE warning bar, I would click Download File, but it never did anything.

Thanks